IDF refresh process

a2retro

IDF refresh process

Postby a2retro » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:20 pm

When updates are made to the IDF on github, what are the correct commands to make sure all is refreshed properly before rebuilding your apps.

Is git pull sufficient?

kolban

Re: IDF refresh process

Postby kolban » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:36 pm

In my environment, I use a Makefile to build my environment. When I wish to refresh my ESP-IDF, I run "make environment". Here is the Makefile I like to use. I'm not saying that this is a recommended way or the best way and am very open to alternatives.

Code: Select all

# Makefile for building a local ESP32 build environment
IDF_PATH=$(shell pwd)/esp-idf
all:
	@echo "This is the Makefile for building an ESP32 environment on Pi"
	@echo "The targets are:"
	@echo "- environment - Build the environment"
	@echo "- setenv - Build the script that sets the environment"

environment:
	sudo apt-get install git wget make libncurses-dev flex bison gperf python python-serial
	rm -rf esp-idf
	git clone --recursive https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf.git
	cd esp-idf; git submodule update --init

setenv:
	echo "#!/bin/bash" > setenv.sh
	echo "export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin" >> setenv.sh
	echo "export IDF_PATH=${IDF_PATH}" >> setenv.sh
	chmod u+x setenv.sh
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm sure Kolbans way works perfectly fine, but it's the equivalent of demolishing the entire flat and then rebuilding it when you want to change the curtains of your appartment :X As far as I know, a 'git pull && git submodule update' should do the trick.

a2retro

Postby a2retro » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi Neil, thanks for sharing your script. I am using windows so I'll make appropriate changes.

I followed your advice and replaced the IDF dir with a fresh download and compressed uploads at 921,600 are working now.

Thanks
Glenn

a2retro

Postby a2retro » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:25 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:I'm sure Kolbans way works perfectly fine, but it's the equivalent of demolishing the entire flat and then rebuilding it when you want to change the curtains of your appartment :X As far as I know, a 'git pull && git submodule update' should do the trick.
Perhaps since I was not doing the git submodule update when it was failing. Next time I will try those and fall back to a complete refresh if I get stuck again.

Thanks for the input.