ESP-IDF 2.0

Moderator: ESP_flying_raijin

ESP_igrr

ESP-IDF 2.0

Postby ESP_igrr » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:27 am

ESP-IDF v2.0 RC1 has been released on Github, please find release notes here:
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/re ... g/v2.0-rc1

This is a pre-release version intended to gather additional feedback before the final release. We plan to make the final v2.0 release on January 26. In the coming days, there will be additional bug fixes and documentation updates deployed to the release branch, but no new functionality and no API changes (hopefully).

Please use Github Issues to submit issue reports and this topic for general comments related to the upcoming release.

kolban

Re: ESP-IDF 2.0

Postby kolban » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:44 am

Great job on the release notes. Delta changes and how to migrate I personally find very important and are my first port of call on a new release.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:46 am

Any update on:

ULP binutils
ADC characterization
Temp sensor
Hall sensor usage guide
PWM
PID
Audio libraries/examples
Expanded support for qio flash mode

Rev 1 silicon
PSRAM

RAM optimization goals/timeline
Last edited by WiFive on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jumjum123

Postby jumjum123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:09 am

After getting first rc for ESP-IDF 2.0, I would like to tell my own summary.
- Highlight in my eyes is support in this forum. Whenever a question came up, there was an anwser(if an answer could be given). One could say, we are still waiting for more driver/example. Thats correct, but on the other hand, we already got a lot. And take a look to this Item, description of changes and what you have to change for V2 is excellent. All together IMHO we are on the bright side of life.
- Lowlight, in my eyes, is memory consumption. We have a lot of RAM and at the end we are fighting for some bytes. With HTTPS and BlueTooth together we already reach this point, as told in this forum. Upcoming support of additional RAM is not the right answer, at least in my eyes. FreeRtos is running on much less powerful hardware, this should be challenging.
- last and least, asking myself, where are all the guys, that got a preliminary board from Espressif ? According to news, there have been 200 boards sent around. I can name for sure 2 guys in this forum only. Multiply by ten to be on the safe side, there are still only 20 who got a board, now being active in this forum. Where are the others ?

ESP_krzychb

Postby ESP_krzychb » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Another highlight, in my opinion, is remarkable stability of intermediate updates up to and including latest ESP-IDF 2.0 rc1.

I do not hesitate and download updates as they are available on GitHub. If something happens, then responsiveness to issues reported on GitHub is excellent.
Last edited by ESP_krzychb on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lurcher

Postby Lurcher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:22 pm

The spi_master example seems to be broken. Were the examples updated with the v2.0?
Seems to be several errors involving phy defines
(e.g. esp-idf-v2.0-rc1/components/esp32/./phy_init.c:159: undefined reference to `phy_get_rf_cal_version')

ESP_krzychb

Postby ESP_krzychb » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:24 pm

@Lurcher,

I have checked spi_master example with esp-idf-v2.0-rc1.
It compiles and works without any issues.

For the issue you report I would try the following:
1. Get clean and complete copy of ESP-IDF from GitHub by executing git clone --recursive https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf.git
2. Build example from scratch be deleting sdkconfig and sdkconfig.old files, running make clean first, make menuconfig to create new configuration and finally make flash.

Lurcher

Postby Lurcher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:03 pm

@krzychb
thanks for the reply ...
If I download using

and use the examples/peripheral/spi_master it compiles for me also. If, however, I download using the instructions
git clone https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf.git esp-idf-v2.0-rc1
cd esp-idf-v2.0-rc1/
git checkout v2.0-rc1
git submodule update --init
and use the examples/peripheral/spi_master from the esp-idf-v2.0-rc1/examples directory, I get the errors.
Is that a typo in your reply, or did you try the rc1 version?

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:07 am

I wasn't able to reproduce this, at least on OS X. Which OS are you running?

My sequence of commands was:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf.git esp-idf-v2.0-rc1
cd esp-idf-v2.0-rc1/
git checkout v2.0-rc1
git submodule update --init
export IDF_PATH=$PWD
cd examples/peripherals/spi_master/
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/e/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin
make -j8
Could you please attach the sdkconfig file from the examples/peripherals/spi_master directory, and the full build log (make clean; make defconfig all V=1). Thanks.

Lurcher

Postby Lurcher » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:15 am

I didn't see the attach part until now .. I'll do that. I use OS-X and msys32 and both had that problem using the 'make clean, make menuconfig, make' routine I saw in the different docs. I tried your method and the only real difference in the commands, is that you use 'make -j8' where I was using just 'make'. I confess - I don't yet know enough about make.
After using 'make -j8' instead of just 'make' I got it to compile cleanly on OS-X and msys32. I'll go back and try to find the problem. For now I'll use the -j8 and probably all will be well ...
Thanks for your help.