ESP32-WROOM-32D RF Performance Testing

declanbyrne

ESP32-WROOM-32D RF Performance Testing

Postby declanbyrne » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi,
We have integrated one of the wireless modules, ESP32-WROOM-32D, into our product.

To ensure that we have not effected the module's radio certification, we will be doing some performance/certification testing on our complete product with the wireless module using the Bluetooth interface.

The certification testing that we will be performing will be to EN 300 328 V2.1.1

To perform this test we need to put the radio module into 3 different Test Modes ...
Test Modes Description
1 “Always on” mode (Normal sequence but 100% duty cycle)
2 Fixed frequency, Always on, Lowest used channel, 100% duty cycle
3 Fixed frequency, Always on, Highest used channel, 100% duty cycle

Can anyone please confirm that this is possible to put the radio module into these three different modes using the application detailed in ESP32&ESP8266 RF Performance Test Demonstration?
https://www.espressif.com/en/support/do ... ther-tools

CONFIGURED DEVICE
I have followed the guide detailed in 'ESP32 & ESP8266 RF Performance Test Demonstration Version 3.0 2019'.
- Program Flash, Sections 5.1.1, 5.1.2 (operating in Flash mode with GPIO_0 pulled high and re-powering after programming) with ESP32_RF_TEST_BIN_V1.4.6_20181019.bin
- Run BT and BLE test, Sections 5.1.3.2

QUESTIONS ...
- How do I select the modes 1, 2 & 3 as described above, I can select channel?
- Can I assume that once I have programmed the devices and pressed start that the device is transmitting a test signal to monitor?

Regards,
Declan Byrne

ESP_Alvin

Re: ESP32-WROOM-32D RF Performance Testing

Postby ESP_Alvin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:50 am

Hi declanbyrne,

Thanks for the question. Some updates:

1. Many of our products and modules have passed CE certification, the existing RF setting and tools (ESP32&ESP8266 RF Performance Test Demonstration) are sufficient.

2. BT transmit signal setting don’t support 100% duty cycle.

3. We want to know which test items of CE certification need to use 3 different test modes you mentioned.

Alvin
Best Regards

declanbyrne

Postby declanbyrne » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:27 am

Hi Alvin,
Thanks for your prompt response.
Just to clarify, we will only be using the BT and BLE capability of this device.

As radio testing is not our forte, we rely on test houses for advise/testing.
I have just sent a lengthy email to the test house requesting more information as you requested.

I will post back once I have clarification on test modes and 'test items for CE Certification'.

Best Regards,
Declan Byrne

declanbyrne

Postby declanbyrne » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:27 am

Hi All,
Update to close this discussion topic.

We integrated an ESP-32-WROOM-32D onto a satellite board within the enclosure of our product for BT/BLE use.

We attended EMC testing and part of the testing focused on spurious emissions relating to Bluetooth (both BT and BLE).
The test requires us to configure the module to transmit in low/high channels at max power for both BT and BLE.

We used the Espressif toolset and guidance from 'ESP32&ESP8266_RF_Performance_Test_Demonstration__EN.pdf’.
After playing around with the software and using a spectrum analyser + horn antenna we could see that we could modify transmission using the application as required.
For each test run we would plug into the serial port to the device, configure to the desired test mode, disconnect the cable and run the test.
The test house was happy for us to proceed using this control method.

When maximum peak frequencies were recorded, the transmitter actual power at these frequencies was established using antenna substitution.
Our device passed, all good :D

Regards,
Declan

ESP_Alvin

Postby ESP_Alvin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 am

Hi declanbyrne,

Glad to hear that your devices passed, all good.

Alvin

dovoto

Postby dovoto » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:49 pm

Is the source code for the performance binaries available? I have a country asking for the functionality of this test but unfortunately my product does not have the serial ports accessible as manufactured and I would like to have it cycle through the test modes with a button press.

Thanks!

i_drdra_i

Postby i_drdra_i » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:23 pm

Dear Alvin,
I'm going through certification process with my devices based on Wroom32D.
My lab is asking me for certification tests mentioned here https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... 0Final.pdf
Is there any way to get them?
Thanks!