ESP32-WROVER-B "flash read err, 1000" on hard reset, otherwise is completely functional

kugelblitz

ESP32-WROVER-B "flash read err, 1000" on hard reset, otherwise is completely functional

Postby kugelblitz » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:34 am

I have a pcb that previously accomodated a ESP32-WROOM with 4MB flash. I switched it to work with a WROVER, and the module I am currently using is a WROVER-B with 8MB PSRAM and 16MB Flash. The pcb was completely functional with the WROOM module. I changed menuconfig to 16MB flash and enabled external spi ram. On first install of the module with no flash, I get an infinite reset loop of

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
flash read err, 1000
ets_main.c 371
ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57

errors. It flashes perfectly well, and after flashing, on a hard reset(pulling en low or removing power completely) it will show the same flash read error, then reset and boot properly into the app. It looks as shown

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
flash read err, 1000
ets_main.c 371
ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0x10 (RTCWDT_RTC_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:2
... continue to boot normally ...

It does not occur on a software reset (calling esp_restart()) nor does it occur booting into flash mode. I have tried forcing MTDI to ground by connecting directly to ground but the same behavior was observed. I believe my power supply is adequate as I have adequate decoupling (100nf, 10uf ceramic, and 1000uf electrolytic) and it booted properly with the WROOM module. I have tried this on two separate boards with two separate modules both ordered from mouser. I do not currently have access to the 8MB or 4MB versions though my use case dictates the 16MB version.

I am wondering if there is a fix for this or if it even matters? My program seems to function perfectly fine other than just the extra reset where flash read fails on a hard reset. However, I do not want this to cause unforseen problems or for example, boot successfully only 99/100 times or something like that. Let me know if any further information is needed.