Alternatives for programming ESP32-CAM

Hasan Shadi

Alternatives for programming ESP32-CAM

Postby Hasan Shadi » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:52 pm

I have been trying to program the ESP32-CAM for the last few weeks. I bought an FTDI (FT232RL) chip, and it turned out that the chip is fried. So, I have no other options, since I don't many electrical parts (like many various chips), the options are running out of my hands. Moreover, I need to program it using the ESP-IDF, not the Arduino GUI application. So, I guess I can't use an Arduino (Nano 3 as an example) to program the ESP32-CAM, since I have a nano 3, and since the Arduino GUI app has many bugs in programming the ESP32 chips.

There is only one alternative inside my head that could work out for me, since I am lacking some electronics. I have an ESP32 NodeMCU which might be able to program the ESP32-CAM. But, I don't know how, is there a library for that? Is it easy to do?

I can buy another electronic parts that could solve the problem, but I don't have the time, I got to work with what I have got right now.
Last edited by Hasan Shadi on Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ESP_igrr

Re: Alternatives for programming ESP32-CAM

Postby ESP_igrr » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:51 am

If you have the 2nd ESP board (ESP32 or ESP8266) you can use it as a serial adapter for programming. To do this, connect TXD, RXD, GND pins of two boards. Connect EN pin of the NodeMCU board to GND — this will keep the ESP32 module on this board in reset, so that it doesn't interfere. Then reset ESP-CAM into bootloader mode (keep GPIO0 low, toggle reset). Now you can run 'make flash' or 'idf.py flash' (depending on the build system). Also make sure each board is adequately powered (over USB or external power supply).