JTAG IDCODE ON ESP32-U4WDH

Scott.Bonomi

Re: JTAG IDCODE ON ESP32-U4WDH

Postby Scott.Bonomi » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:52 pm

I saw your note about openocd version after my last update.

I have now updated openocd to v0.10.0-esp32-20200420 which seems to be much more successful, at least at 500 KHz.
There were a couple of intermediate versions of openocd in my "dist" folder but it is not obvious on how to update the versions using the tools.
For a one time change, Changing the contents of the bin directory was not an issue.
It would be good to know what I should be using for a work area on the U4WDH device, It seems the ESP32 and the ESP32-S2 are using different blocks of memory, and I do not know which family the U4WDH should align with. There does seem to be an improvement in the script files, but only mainline targets are supported.

ESP_Sprite

Re: JTAG IDCODE ON ESP32-U4WDH

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:22 am

What you have is a flavour of the (non-S2) ESP32. All ESP32 chips have a designation (like U4WHD) after their 'ESP32' identifier; the meaning is in chapter 7 (Part number and ordering information) of the datasheet. indicating packaging, binning and configuration of the silicon. In your case, your chip has a single available CPU core (U), 4MB of internal flash (4), WiFi and BT/BTLE (WD), and works over a High temperature range (H). As it still is an ESP32, you should use the configuration for that.