What to use for a Smart Home?

pravi.khm@gmail.com

What to use for a Smart Home?

Postby pravi.khm@gmail.com » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:07 am

Hi,

I am creating a smart home solution and business based on ESP32 after checking through multiple solutions. However, I still have a lot of questions unanswered. Can someone help me with these questions?

1. For smart Homes, should I go with ESP32-S2 or ESP32? Since most of the nodes will be WiFi controlled, is there a requirement for ESP32 with Bluetooth?
2. If I have to later add esp32 modules to Home Assistant, is it as simple as plugging in (compatibility), or should I redesign everything?
3. If there is a WiFi network failure, can i still use the setup? (ESP Local?)
4. Where can I find an example or detailed documentation of like a Hello World example for a smart home?

Thanks,
Praveen

marine_hm

Re: What to use for a Smart Home?

Postby marine_hm » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:47 pm

I'm new to the ESP32 boards. But have used the ESP8266 boards with MQTT. Works great. You should be able to do the same with the ESP32.

becorey

Postby becorey » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:34 pm

1. For smart Homes, should I go with ESP32-S2 or ESP32? Since most of the nodes will be WiFi controlled, is there a requirement for ESP32 with Bluetooth?
You'll have to answer your own product specifications, whether you want Bluetooth or not. There is also single core S2 vs dual core and several other tradeoffs, you need to evaluate for your product.
2. If I have to later add esp32 modules to Home Assistant, is it as simple as plugging in (compatibility), or should I redesign everything?
https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/
It looks like Home Assistant is meant to run on a raspberry pi or other Linux computer. You could not install it on esp32, it's just a microcontroller with smaller capabilities than a raspberry pi. There might be other libraries for esp32 that can do what you need.
3. If there is a WiFi network failure, can i still use the setup? (ESP Local?)
Esp32 can create an Access Point (local wifi network) that another device like a smartphone could connect to for setup, a lot of smart home devices do it this way.

feasycom

Postby feasycom » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:46 am

Smart home has ESP32 module, I recommend this one, you can try : ESP32

pravi.khm@gmail.com

Postby pravi.khm@gmail.com » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:03 am

Thanks for all the answers. But does anyone know and suggest me where to start? I have read lot of tutorials online, but it seems like bits and pieces for smart home setup using esp32. I am ok with not using Home assistant, but I need to setup a complete automated home and need support. Even if you can suggest a book, I am willing to purchase it, or any online tutorials will definitely help.

pravi.khm@gmail.com

Postby pravi.khm@gmail.com » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:04 am

marine_hm wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:47 pm
I'm new to the ESP32 boards. But have used the ESP8266 boards with MQTT. Works great. You should be able to do the same with the ESP32.
Are you ok to share more details related to it? Since there is not much difference in working, I can always upgrade from esp8266 to esp32 if you could share.

Soryua

Postby Soryua » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:33 am

There are a lot of things to do for a smart house nowadays:
you can turn on the coffee machine while you're in bed, you can speak to the AI plugged to the house system, you can do almost everything with your phone, lights, tv, microwave, washing machine and so one.
But the most important in my opinion is the security system. Nothing will make you life better than knowing that your PC is protecting you from robbers, incendiaries and other things that can damage your house.
I have a strong security system from Vivint, this are the best experts I have ever seen in my life. Now I have light sensors, water sensors, cameras everywhere, monitors, motion sensors and I can control everything from my phone or laptop. But the most interesting thing is the reasonable price, I will never believe how cheap is it.

juasofia23

Postby juasofia23 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:54 pm

Yes, a coffee machine is a great idea! But you have to get it ready in the evening!