What is the state of I/O pins in reset?

johnabel

What is the state of I/O pins in reset?

Postby johnabel » Sat May 20, 2017 6:13 am

Hopefully a quick one, I couldn't find clearly in the specs: are all I/O pins in Hi-Z state when in reset?
And is reset pulling the CHIP_PU pin low? (DS says 'it works at minimum power', that doesn't imply a reset, does it? but there isn't any other rest related pin...)

ESP_igrr

Re: What is the state of I/O pins in reset?

Postby ESP_igrr » Sat May 20, 2017 7:07 am

Please check the "ESP32 Pin List" document (available from Espressif website). In the pin list table, see the two rightmost columns ("at reset", "after reset"). Notes 9 and 10 on the previous page explain the contents of these two columns :)

johnabel

Postby johnabel » Sat May 20, 2017 7:34 am

I did, but for most of the GPIO those columns are blank. Note 9 says 'During reset, all pins are output-disabled' should I understand they are high-Z or weak pull up/down? And is RESET pulling CHIP_PU low?
Is, for example, GPIO25 an output after reset by default (because of the ie=0 at the last column)?

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Sat May 20, 2017 10:07 am

If the column is blank for a particular GPIO, then pullup, pulldown, and input are disabled (=hi-Z).
ie=0 means that input is disabled, but that doesn't mean the output is enabled, ie and oe settings are independent. All pins have outputs disabled at and after reset.

johnabel

Postby johnabel » Sat May 20, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks, that makes sense now.
As input are usually high impedance, it doesn't make much sense to disable them, does it?
That's why I thought disabling them was actually a way of setting them to be outputs.
Anyways, I have now enough info to carry on.