Is the temperature of the esp32 normal?

Smartisan

Is the temperature of the esp32 normal?

Postby Smartisan » Thu May 25, 2017 3:27 am

When the esp32 work the temperature of it was a little high,maybe 90 degree on the micochip!Does the espressif messure the temperature of the esp32 when it transieve message by wifi? Because the temperature is important for us,we don't want the temperatur was so high and it maybe reduce the work time or it was supplied by the battery.So i want to ask how can we do to reduce the temperature of the esp32 when it work.

WiFive

Re: Is the temperature of the esp32 normal?

Postby WiFive » Thu May 25, 2017 3:33 am

90°C? Sounds high. Are you using wroom32 or other design? Maybe has poor thermal layout.

Smartisan

Postby Smartisan » Thu May 25, 2017 3:52 am

Maybe sounds a little crazy,but the temperature is terrible.We use the esp32 in a little size,so the layout size is limited.Could you please give me some good suggestion to reduce the current or the power waste? Isn't the esp32 Ultra-low power consumption?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu May 25, 2017 8:18 am

What exactly are you doing with the chip? Are you sure your voltages are in range, and you're not shorting outputs or something like that? How are you measuring the temperature?

Smartisan

Postby Smartisan » Thu May 25, 2017 8:37 am

We use the esp32 work with a camera sensor to transeive the image.As well we don't have the specially equipment to messure the temperature of the esp32,but it was really much high we have to do something to reduce the temperature like coolant. Because our product is so small that we must control the dissipate heat of the esp32.Is there any good suggestion to solute it?

f.h-f.s.

Postby f.h-f.s. » Thu May 25, 2017 2:29 pm

I've worked with the sparkfun esp32, DOIT esp32 (aliexpress) and the Pycom LoPy & SiPy.

The librtc.a has a function to get the temperature. (the function is spelled wrong, not a mistake. it is in the lib that way)

Code: Select all

extern uint8_t temprature_sens_read(void); // from librtc.a in c file
We are guessing it is returning Fahrenheit.

The Sparkfun gets really hot, maybe because it doesn't have a EMI shield.
The DOIT comes second, you can feel the EMI shield get warm.(~140ish from temp function)
The Pycom Lopy/SiPy comes to a very cool third. You can feel its a bit above room temperature. (the temp function returns ~100 here)

I also read somewhere there is a thermal pad on the bottom of the WROOM32, and it is not always soldered? That would probably help with the heat dissipation.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri May 26, 2017 1:49 am

It's actually returning an ADC value, which unfortunately isn't exactly linearily correspondung to temperature.

Smartisan

Postby Smartisan » Fri May 26, 2017 2:55 am

Thank you!@f.h-f.s. Are you developing IOT by esp32 yet now?I think you ars alos get the trouble of high heat of the esp32.Unfortunatly i find that when the esp32 too hot it will damage the transieve efficent and get another problem.We are now use the DOIT as you know it also much hot.We don't get the Sparkfun and Lopy/SiPy,but i am very curious about how the Lopy/SiP can be so cool?Does they have the EMI shield?Maybe it is the reason of the HDK. But you must confirm that the esp32 have a lot to improved, we measured the current can get 160-220mA when it transmit signal that it was so crazy?Does it the Ultra-low power consumption as the AD?
OK,i will get the Lopy/SiPy to solve the problem. Thank you :)

f.h-f.s.

Postby f.h-f.s. » Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:It's actually returning an ADC value, which unfortunately isn't exactly linearily correspondung to temperature.
Thanks for the clarification! I will just use it as a indication now.
Smartisan wrote:Thank you!@f.h-f.s. Are you developing IOT by esp32 yet now?I think you ars alos get the trouble of high heat of the esp32.Unfortunatly i find that when the esp32 too hot it will damage the transieve efficent and get another problem.We are now use the DOIT as you know it also much hot.We don't get the Sparkfun and Lopy/SiPy,but i am very curious about how the Lopy/SiP can be so cool?Does they have the EMI shield?Maybe it is the reason of the HDK. But you must confirm that the esp32 have a lot to improved, we measured the current can get 160-220mA when it transmit signal that it was so crazy?Does it the Ultra-low power consumption as the AD?
OK,i will get the Lopy/SiPy to solve the problem. Thank you :)
It does have a shield, and the feel is a bit different from the WROOM32.
https://www.pycom.io/wp-content/uploads ... 00x400.png
https://www.pycom.io/wp-content/uploads ... 00x400.png

The DOIT board works very well in my opinion, the heat does not cause any problems in developing/testing for me. My LoPy doesn't listen to RTS CTS signals(I think that's configurable, don't know where), so I have to put it in bootmode manually. It does however allow QIO, and 2M baud flash rate. The DOIT fails at flashing 2/3 times when it is warm, but I think that is caused by the usb serial chip.
I do agree that the ESP32 has things to improve upon, but they are really working hard at it(new chip revision, all the work on documentation and esp-idf).
Last edited by f.h-f.s. on Fri May 26, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smartisan

Postby Smartisan » Fri May 26, 2017 8:37 am

Thank you a lot.The images you post i can't see maybe the cause of the website or the internet.I want to see the EMI sheild.We are now use the esp32 in IOT and transieve much date so it is common that the temperature will be high and the esp32 is really hot. The thermial pad we want to add to the product but the size si limited that maybe difficult to do that.I want to see the new verson of esp32 come because we want improve the worktime of the esp32.Thank you :D