ESP32 OTA Update using GSM Network

gustavoledax

ESP32 OTA Update using GSM Network

Postby gustavoledax » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:09 pm

Hi everyone! I'm using some of that LilyGo T-Call SIM800 Series, a module based on ESP32 and SIM800L, using GSM Network for internet connections. With those, I can make MQTT connections (using a broker of my own) and make simple HTTP requests easily. Note that I'm using Arduino IDE for programming.

Recently, I've deployed a little server to make OTA Updates, simple sending the binary file content in the response (Using node.js, I've simple made a res.status(200).send(data), where data is the readFile of the binary), being fully able to update firmwares of common NodeMCU based on ESP32 and ESP8266 and using WiFi connections.

Using the module whose combine the ESP32 with the SIM800L, I can make the HTTP request to my server and receive the response, but now, I'm unable to make the update itself, as the common used libraries just work with WiFi connections apparently. My question is, having the binary response with the HTTP request, how can I start the upgrade proccess? Any idea? By now, thank you very much for the support!!

mostafahk

Re: ESP32 OTA Update using GSM Network

Postby mostafahk » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:29 pm

You could use the OTAdrive library and use it for OTA updates. Check here for the esp32 SIM800 gsm modem OTA example.