Bad ESP32-WROVER power switch?

Resch2061

Bad ESP32-WROVER power switch?

Postby Resch2061 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:16 am

Hello everyone,

Is it just me, or is the power switch on the ESP32 WROVER kit really dependant on luck? This board is brand new and after only two weeks of usage the switch broke, I had to piece the tiny copper plate back into the little plastic piece, which fell out of the switch case... After that, I had to find this sweet spot to get it to turn on, but now it seems this sweet spot has disappeared entirely.
I like the board so far, but this is quite a nuisance. I'm even considering short circuiting the ends of the switch to omit it entirely, because now I can't even turn on the device because of this incredibly cheap switch.

It's not really something I need help with persay, but it's rather frustrating to see your device not working because of a faulty switch.

kolban

Re: Bad ESP32-WROVER power switch?

Postby kolban » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:38 pm

I hear you. Thankfully I don't have that issue on my WROVER board but I think the whole community would be interested to hear of stories like this. If worst comes to worse, you could carefully de-solder the switch and replace it ... there are a wide variety of switches that could replace the failing component ... for example ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-Slide-Switc ... 416b04e403

For my usage, I never use the switch (which may be to my detriment). I have a USB block which has buttons providing power to each port. When I need to power down the device, I use the button on the USB block. If it were me, I'd solder bridge the underside to its on position and move on from there.

Other than that, I (a consumer) am please with my recently bought WROVER board. Its breakout makes some of the experiments I am running much easier than breadboarding or strip boarding.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:18 am

FWIW, we're aware that the switch on the v2 WROVER-KITs tends to fall apart with frequent use if you're not careful. We've replaced it with a more sturdy one on the v3 board.

Resch2061

Postby Resch2061 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Please don't misunderstand the apparent frustration for the switch as frustration for the product as a whole. I'm very pleased with the ESP32 as well, it's just the switch I had a little trouble with. Good to hear the switch has been replaced!

Kolban, that's a great idea, very inventive and clever. I like it!
I decided to have the switch shorted by placing a little lead bead on the two switch pins. No more issues with this one :)