ESP-WROOM-32 esptool fatal error

kilobyte_ch

ESP-WROOM-32 esptool fatal error

Postby kilobyte_ch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Hello

I'm currently in the process of getting my board up and running. I used a new WROOM module and placed it on my board. My board features an CP2102 Serial converter. I verified a working auto prog circuit (same like on the Espressif Boards) with toggling the pins in Realterm and thus putting the esp32 in download mode or running mode. Works perfect.

I can perfectly read out the mac adress via esptool. But flashing doesn't work. It seems that it has an issue with accessing the flash of the WROOM. But I don't know why. I already changed the WROOM module to another new one, same issue.

Code: Select all

$ make flash
Flashing binaries to serial port /dev/ttyUSB0 (app at offset 0x10000)...
esptool.py v2.1-beta1
Connecting........_
Chip is ESP32D0WDQ6 (revision 1)
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Configuring flash size...
Warning: Could not auto-detect Flash size (FlashID=0xffffff, SizeID=0xff), defaulting to 4MB
Flash params set to 0x0220

A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet content
/home/bmarty/esp/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/Makefile.projbuild:52: recipe for target 'flash' failed
make: *** [flash] Error 2

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP-WROOM-32 esptool fatal error

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Some pins that are used to connect the ESP32 to flash also are connected to some of the castellations on the WROOM32 - see the schematic for which, iirc they're all on the bottom of the module. Maybe you're shorting one of those pads to ground/Vcc causing the flash chip not to work?

greg_james

Re: ESP-WROOM-32 esptool fatal error

Postby greg_james » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:05 am

Hi
I had the same issue. I found out that IO12 must be pulled low on power up as it is also the MTDI line . In my case I was using it as the I2C SCL line and had a 4K7 pull up. The device does have a weak pull down on IO12

See http://espressif.com/sites/default/file ... eet_en.pdf page 18 Figure 4

When I removed the pull up resistor it then could program

Cheers

Greg