custom ESP32-C3FH4 no wifi connection

nullvoid

custom ESP32-C3FH4 no wifi connection

Postby nullvoid » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:28 pm

Hello, i have made this tiny esp32 board, this second revision have worked for around 2 months, but the last couple of days my two assembled boards have not been able to connect to WIFI, and i feel like i am loosing my mind cause it worked for so long.
Its using a JOHNSON 2450AT43B100 antenna, and the ESP32-C3FH4 chip.
espScreenshot 2023-01-23 154504.jpg
espScreenshot 2023-01-23 154504.jpg (164.29 KiB) Viewed 609 times
schemeespScreenshot 2023-01-23 154504.jpg
schemeespScreenshot 2023-01-23 154504.jpg (289.8 KiB) Viewed 609 times
Anyways, i have been using arduino to test the hardware, (im not a programmer) and i tried several different examples for wifi
The errors are always: 202 AUTH_FAIL or AUTH EXPIRED.
Even putting the ESP on top of my phone set up as a AP could not get any connection (-30dBm)
I also set it up as a AP, the pc can see the AP but cant connect.

So after testing different software, i decided to move on to hardware, first i tried to remove the antenna and connect a piece of wire after ti Pi network, nothing, after that, i connected the wire before the pi network. still nothing, but i could see the RSSI got stronger, i also realized the wire was too long, so i started cutting of pieces of the wire looking to see if the RSSI got stronger, it did!
After that i have had no problems connecting to wifi with the wire as an antenna (connected before the pi network)

So my best guess is that its the PI matching network that needs tuning, and that i should get an VNA to get the proper antenna working
But i don't wanna waste money on a VNA if thee could be another way or something else i could try?

The fact that two Pcbs have worked for a while is still strange, but i might not realize how much the environment might affect RF stuff?

also, I'm not planning on using the wire in the product of course, but could i damage the esp when using a wire as antenna?, i heard the esp could take damaged without an antenna?

charlescho

Re: custom ESP32-C3FH4 no wifi connection

Postby charlescho » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 am

Hello,
I have same problem. In my case, ESP32 C3 chip revision 3 is ok in wifi connection and ESP32 C3 chip revision 4 is not working.
Still I have debugging...if you have fixed it, please share solution.
Thanks.