ESP32-C3-MINI-1 Custom Board USB problem

vtxray

ESP32-C3-MINI-1 Custom Board USB problem

Postby vtxray » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:01 am

I have a board that I designed using the ESP32-C3-MINI-1 module.

D+/D- (GPIO19/18) connected directly to the USB Type C connector (A6/B6 and A7/B7 correspondingly). CC1/CC2 have 5.1k pull-down resisters.
GPIO2 and GPIO8 is pulled high with separate 10k resisters. GPIO9 is pulled high and is connected through a button to GND.
EN has reset button with 0.1uF/10k RC circuit. 3.3V produced by VDO regulator AMS1117-3.3 from USB-C VUSB.
Nothing else soldered on the board except few 10uF/0.1uF capacitors on 5V and 3.3V nets. Board has ESD protection diodes on VUSB, D+ and D-, I tried not to populate them - makes no difference.

Yet Windows 10 *most of the times* fails to enumerate the board with an error message of "Device Descriptor Request Failed" in Device Manager on Unknown USB device. Maybe few times out of million it showed as COM port correctly, I was able to flash my binary with esptool and my binary works fine. But after a while the same board stops enumerating correctly.

USB port/cable are fine since any other board (f.e. XIAO esp32c3) works with no problem.

I've inspected the board for soldering/routing issues and don't see anything obviously wrong. Also soldered two more copies of the board with the same results.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-C3-MINI-1 Custom Board USB problem

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:06 am

It does this also if you plug it in with the GPIO9 button pressed?

vtxray

Postby vtxray » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:33 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:06 am
It does this also if you plug it in with the GPIO9 button pressed?
Yes. Actually this is the only way I could get it *sometimes* to show as COM port. If already connected, resetting with EN button while holding GPIO9 button never get it recognized as valid USB peripheral. If it was recognized - after reset it disappears in USB devices.

Since yesterday I also removed (bypassed) USB Type C socket and routed D+/D-/GND/VBUS directly to USB cable wires. Surprisingly it got better - chances of being recognized as USB devices when I plug it in improved, but not 100% anyways.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:48 am

Odd... from the description of your schematic, it should just work. I'm wondering if there's something physical going on, e.g. a bad contact or something.

vtxray

Postby vtxray » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:57 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:48 am
Odd... from the description of your schematic, it should just work. I'm wondering if there's something physical going on, e.g. a bad contact or something.
It is odd. At the end of week should receive a delivery with oscilloscope and take a look at actual signals. Seems I am missing out something very simple...
Thank you for replying!