Cannot connect to WROVER-KIT V3

electronickiwi

Cannot connect to WROVER-KIT V3

Postby electronickiwi » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:05 am

I have a new WROVER-KIT V3 board, and I cannot connect to the console via serial.

When the board turns on it is running it's default firmware - cycling colors on the LCD and RGB LED, and I get two new serial ports on my PC. When I connect to the first port I get no connection errors, but the terminal remains blank. I CAN get a connection on the second port - the terminal shows "dbg".

I have jumpers across the TX and RX pins. I've tested with and without jumpers on CTS/RTS (with associated flow control settings in software). I can connect to other ESP32 dev boards fine. I'm on Windows 7, but have also tested on Windows 10. I've tested with other USB cables. I've tried with Putty TerraTerm, and RealTerm.

The fact that I can get a response on the debug port makes me think there is nothing wrong at the USB level, and nothing wrong with my terminal setup, and it is making me think there might be a hardware fault?

kolban

Re: Cannot connect to WROVER-KIT V3

Postby kolban » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:27 am

Are you using Linux, Windows or some other OS for your PC platform? I use Linux and when I attach my WROVER-KIT V3, I see two USB ports

/dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyUSB1

USB0 is for JTAG and USB1 is for monitor and flashing.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

electronickiwi

Postby electronickiwi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:15 am

Windows. I have two COM ports from the board. The numbers vary depending on where I plug in the cable, but at present they are COM20 and COM21. COM21 is the debug port.

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:26 am

Does the factory firmware on wrover-kit have an interactive console?

electronickiwi

Postby electronickiwi » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:31 am

I was trying to flash firmware via the first port and getting no response, which started my search for a solution; but it turns out that I'm supposed to flash the firmware via the second debug port. It's working now.