ESP as wireless bridge for forgetful clients

TomMynar

ESP as wireless bridge for forgetful clients

Postby TomMynar » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:28 am

I have a client who moved his office on Saturday (12/15/2018) and waited until Friday to call and ask for internet service. :roll:
It suddenly occurred to me, why can't I connect an ESP to his Cell HotSpot, add a wired network connector and bridge/route his email traffic through his cellular service. I know it will be expensive, but better than waiting until January 7th before he can get DSL service.

Has anyone made such a product ? Since his PCs are all wired, no wireless, the MESH project isn't exactly a good match.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Tom
(well experienced programmer for over 40 years, new (1 year) to Arduino and ESP32/8266). Strong electronics background as well.

loboris

Re: ESP as wireless bridge for forgetful clients

Postby loboris » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Isn't it much easier for the client to use his smartphone to manage the email, or connect his PC to the smartphone acting as hotspot (adding the USB wifi adapter shouldn't be the problem)? :?

rontec

Re: ESP as wireless bridge for forgetful clients

Postby rontec » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:36 pm

There are dozens of consumer routers that can act in "station" mode to bridge a wired network to a wireless AP. Costs $15-30.
Getting one of these is much quicker and easier and cheaper (when you account for labor) than building your own.