ESP32 (D0WD) instability

PanicanWhyasker

ESP32 (D0WD) instability

Postby PanicanWhyasker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi,
I've designed a ESP32-based device on a custom circuit board (using bare ESP32 D0WDQ6 chips, rev1) and unfortunately I'm facing some instability issues that are very hard to reproduce.

The issue is that, when the device is used, at some point it seems to reset into bootloader or something similar (GPIO5 gets into weakly pulled up state, judging from that I have a LED on that pin, and it glows dimly when the issue happens). I've set the strapping pins to the good values for my application (GPIO12/MTDI pulled down through 360k (my flash is a 3.3V part), GPIO15 not tied to anything (relying on internal WPU), same for GPIO2, and GPIO0 is pulled up through 10k to 3.3V). The CHIP_PU pin is pulled up (10k to 3.3V) and has a 100nF cap to ground.

The ESP is powered at 3.3V and uses a Winbond W25Q64JVSSIQ 3.3V flash.

The application is automotive (the device transmits moto-racing telemetry, so it experiences some accelerations and has interfaces for external power and sensors). I know this can be a demanding application, but I've ruled out most of the things that can be the culprit:
  • External power as not an issue, since the input has the usual kind of automotive voltage dump protections, and there are devices that are running on battery only and are still flaky.
  • Temperature is also not an issue, in fact the devices regularly crash as described in 20°C.
  • For the external sensors, they are all interfaced by other MCUs so interference from them is almost ruled out. The ESP32 only communicates through I²C, SPI and UART to the other MCUs and internal sensors.
  • Vibration is likely not an issue, as we've placed devices on a vibration platform, and have thrown them to the ground, to no ill effect.
  • The issue happens to ~15 out of the 25 "beta" devices, so it's not just a single flaky board.
  • The power is through a Li-Ion 18650 battery and 3.3V LDO, with the recommended capacitance to the LDO, 10µF + a bunch of 100nF caps immediately close to the ESP on the respective power pins, as recommended in the "hardware design guidelines"
  • It's not a software crash (I've verified this explicitly)
  • The devices don't crash in "lab" setting (e.g. in the office, no matter how much time do I leave them powered on), only "in the field" (after a few minutes of working fine, but this varies and is quite random)
The areas I still suspect that can be problematic:
  • PCB composition and layout. Due to cost reasons, I've designed a 2-layer PCB (I was encouraged that there are development boards like the ESP32 Thing that are 2-layer as well). It could be some inadequate routing that is allowing interference through;
  • Some problem related to the varying WiFi power requirements as the vehicles are moving away or closer to the WiFi APs;
  • Floating input pins. Some of the input-only pins are floating (some don't have any traces, some have traces spanning the entire board though);
  • Floating VDD_SDIO pin (my flash is a 3V3 part, and is powered through the 3V3 rail directly). I've left the VDD_SDIO pin unconnected to anything;
  • Something else completely?
Am I missing something, is there any particular area where I should look into more thoroughly?
The whole thing is developed under NDA, so I can't freely share the design for verification.

Best regards!

costaud

Re: ESP32 (D0WD) instability

Postby costaud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:12 am

Would you please provide some uart logs when it reboots ?

PanicanWhyasker

Postby PanicanWhyasker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 am

This is unfortunately what I can't do, since it doesn't reboot/crash in lab settings, and it would be next to impossible to install a UART logger attached to the device in the field application.

PanicanWhyasker

Postby PanicanWhyasker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm

OK, an update: I was able to be present with the laptop when a device crashed this way.
The message it printed when it crashed was

Code: Select all

Gr eiainErr oe1 ai'd(nerp d ieu nCU)
Which (it seems that every other char was skipped for some reason) should be

Code: Select all

Guru Meditation Error: Core 1 panic'ed (Interrupt wdt timeout on CPU?)
Unfortunately which the CPU # is not known (one of the missed chars).

Any pointers?

PanicanWhyasker

Postby PanicanWhyasker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Update: it's likely a HW issue, not fixable in software, but I'm still curious: the crash happens even if only the car's chassis ground is connected to my device's GND. No other signals or inputs into the device, just connect car GND with device GND. Does this shed any light?

jcsbanks

Postby jcsbanks » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:27 pm

What frequency do you run the external flash at?

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:07 pm

I have made a couple devices for ARCA Racing Series. Where in the car is your device located at ?
FWIW those MSD ignition boxes spray out a hell of allot of energy, if your too close to it, its game over unless your in a shielded box.

PanicanWhyasker

Postby PanicanWhyasker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 am

@jcsbanks, it's 80 MHz.

@mikemoy, noted, yet I think if it is in a shielded box, wouldn't that seriously impede the WiFi signal?

jcsbanks

Postby jcsbanks » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:22 am

Long shot, but I noticed instability with 80MHz with external flash on our first two layer board (short but not straight and equal traces), but that was on the bench before it went into a car but if you have automotive interference maybe it worsens? We would have tried different layouts and/or four layer and more testing if not going to flash inside module.

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am

@mikemoy, noted, yet I think if it is in a shielded box, wouldn't that seriously impede the WiFi signal?
[/quote]

You would have to use an external antenna connector on your box, and attach an antenna. I am not saying this is the cause, but every time that spark fires it can generate pulses on your traces of your exposed PCB causing all kinds of havoc.