Is there an existing DMX protocol library available on ESP32 IDF ?

Roudoudoux

Is there an existing DMX protocol library available on ESP32 IDF ?

Postby Roudoudoux » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:21 am

Hi ESP32 developers,

I'd like to know if there is an existing library to control a DMX led strip with an ESP32.

I know that I'll need a MAX485 device connected to the ESP32 which should be wired as specified in the esp-idf driver folder about RS485 UART protocol. But I need an enhanced version of this protocol (called DMX protocol) to control my Led strip which does not seem to be implemented in the framework. If you have any hint about it, it would be really helpful.

Thank you

Roudoudoux

Re: Is there an existing DMX protocol library available on ESP32 IDF ?

Postby Roudoudoux » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 am

Thanks chegewara for your kind attention,

It makes me realize that I have not been clear enough about what I am looking for and what I have done before posting here.
I have already looked for such a library through google and github searchtool but both of them provide arduino libraries. And, as you may expect, if I am posting on espressif esp-idf forum, it is because I am using esp-idf in my project.

0anubis0

Postby 0anubis0 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:20 pm

I have searched for a while as well with no succeed. I have found only arduino libraries.
So probably we have to write the driver ourself. I have tried to do magic with gpio interrupts and uart, but I have failed because of the uart delays. The break detect was fine by gpio interrupt, but there was a random delay in the uart ring buffer.

The problem is, I think its not possible to describe the whole DMX standard with the official UART driver, polling, or any other peraphial.
The only opportunity I think is to modify the uart driver and make the break detect there as you can see in the arduino solutions.

It will be hard to write, but the good thing is its possible at least :)

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:01 am

Arduino as component: you can write esp-idf app and use existing DMX arduino library.