Bluetooth classic

msacker

Bluetooth classic

Postby msacker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:43 am

Hi,

I have seen that Bluetooth Classic is not yet supported by the ESP32 SDK, only BLE.

Are there any plans to add BT classic support in the near future? It this an SDK limitation or a hardware limitation?

Thanks for your help
Matt

ESP_Sprite

Re: Bluetooth classic

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:08 am

Yes, we have plans to that effect. I can't give you a timeline for that, unfortunately, though.

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:22 pm

Kind of...odd...to not have the support. Is this because of considerations on the HCI side of the equation not being fully fleshed out or is it because you've just not got a good API wrapper for the same?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:09 am

Mostly because it's not ported to main esp-idf yet. We do have some HCI work fleshed out, as well as audio profile already working. I asked around, work to get all that into esp-idf will be starting this week. (It's most likely going to be post-esp-idf-v2.0 before it will make it in, though.)

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:08 pm

msacker wrote:Hi,

I have seen that Bluetooth Classic is not yet supported by the ESP32 SDK, only BLE.

Are there any plans to add BT classic support in the near future? It this an SDK limitation or a hardware limitation?

Thanks for your help
Matt
It's definitely not hardware. They're using a Riviera Waves/CEVA IP core for at least the controller if not the modem side, per their and CEVA's press releases. That's full function to 4.1/4.2 as a dual mode device. The problem, apparently, is that they're implementing the full embedded profile design which means it kind-of skips the HCI being propagated through a channel and you don't have a raw HCI edge, only an API. Definitely annoying since they claim full support on the chip. That equates to all the hooks to drive that hardware fully, which is very definitely NOT the case.

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:Mostly because it's not ported to main esp-idf yet. We do have some HCI work fleshed out, as well as audio profile already working. I asked around, work to get all that into esp-idf will be starting this week. (It's most likely going to be post-esp-idf-v2.0 before it will make it in, though.)
Is this a limitation to the IDF or can the Arduino core drive the hardware properly? I've an application that is going to be stalled on part of it's features if I don't have the ability to do both LE and Classic.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:26 am

Both. esp-idf doesn't do it yet, and for complicated features that partially need fixing up the lower level layers, Arduino is dependent on esp-idf.

magicroomy

Postby magicroomy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:33 am

Any updates on this topic ?
I saw that now there are some new examples for BT audio profile ... but no example for plain BT Classic ( especially SP)

Hubberthus

Postby Hubberthus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:20 pm

If you are interested in a particular profile, then as a workaround until the IDF doesn't support it yet, you can write it manually, the "esp_vhci*" can be used for this.

At least a bare minimum of profile stacks for testing purposes can be written, if you're just waiting for it to be available. And then change to the official code when it becomes available.

I've attached an example usage of "esp_vhci*" which just connects to the given hardcoded Bluetooth address (peer_addr), sends it a name, sets itself as a HID Keyboard (dev_class), and sends one L2CAP message.
Nothing else, I've just fiddled with it until kinda "worked". It gets into a restart loop until somehow the L2CAP is successfuly sent, then does nothing.
Attachments
vhci_bt_classic.zip
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 1317 times

ursfassler

Postby ursfassler » Thu May 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Thank you for the example.
I found 2 problems in it, unfortunately it does not prevent the cyclic rebooting. It does not reboot all the time when the callbacks are not registered.

The problems are:
  • the hci_cmd_buf is too small. If I got it correctly, it should be HCIC_PREAMBLE_SIZE+HCI_COMMAND_SIZE which is 258.
  • It takes some time to create the connection. You have to wait for (conn_handle != 0xffff) until calling l2cap_send_connection_request_control
Any hints or solutions wrt. the crash are appreciated.