IDE for ESP-IDF

xSampaio

IDE for ESP-IDF

Postby xSampaio » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to start to develop on ESP32 using the ESP-IDF instead of Arduino framework, however I know that Eclipse plugin is a very good initiative but it is in a early development so there are a long way before use it for professional development, PlatformIO is a very good option, however VS Code is not a very good option too (slow, buggy and so on).

Stated that, there are any other Development IDE on pair with IAR, MikroE and so on?

Thank you in advance,
Carlos

Aussie Susan

Re: IDE for ESP-IDF

Postby Aussie Susan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:21 am

PlatformIO
Susan

xSampaio

Postby xSampaio » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:30 am

Hi Susan,

Thank you!!!
Currently I'm using platformio on VS Code as workaround, however it is too buggy, mainly during debug, and very slow.
Just to compare, the build from ESP-IDF command line is at least 10 times faster then platformio.

To be honest, we are define defining the uC to be used in next projects, ESP32 fits perfectly however the development environment is the huge downside of that. This is what I'm trying to figure find a way to go.

BR,
Carlos

kurta999

Postby kurta999 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 am

jeremyjh

Postby jeremyjh » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:13 pm

I'm using CLion and quite happy with it. It is not free, but it is an excellent IDE and a good value. Its native project format is CMake so it integrates well with IDF.

fasani

Postby fasani » Mon May 11, 2020 9:34 am

I use Platformio for both IDF and espressif32-arduino. I think it's a decent IDE.

But I do compile the things in a separate command-line. Same as git, for some reason I dislike IDEs for that, I like to see things directly in command line nerdie style :)
epdiy collaborator | http://fasani.de Fan of Espressif MCUs and electronic design