Google Voice Assistant (IoT device)

mavo88

Google Voice Assistant (IoT device)

Postby mavo88 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi.
I have a ESP32-board with relays i want to control through Google Voice Assistant, using a Google Home speaker.

The esp-va-sdk (https://github.com/espressif/esp-va-sdk) is a voice assistant SDK for building a speaker / microphone with Alexa or Google Home support. I need to make an IoT device which i can control through voice commands, not make the actual Google Home speaker.

Can the esp-va-sdk be used only for accepting voice commands from Google Voice Assistant? Or should i base my project on something else, and what?

Thanks!

ESP_Amit

Re: Google Voice Assistant (IoT device)

Postby ESP_Amit » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:51 am

esp-va-sdk is useful for developing a device with voice assistants (GVA/Alexa) in-built and only supports voice based query-response flow.

In order to control a relay using voice commands, there are two ways:
1. Controlling the relay by talking to the device itself. In this case you would need esp-va-sdk.
2. Controlling the relay by giving voice command to an Echo Dot or Google Home speaker. In this case you do not need to use esp-va-sdk.

Now in order to actually control the relay,
* If you want to use Alexa Eco-system, you need to use esp-aws-iot
* If you want to use Google Eco-system, you need to use esp-google-iot

You can use support both in a single application as well. We have tested esp-aws-iot working with esp-va-sdk. But esp-google-iot should theoretically work with esp-va-sdk as well.

mavo88

Postby mavo88 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 am

Hi.

Thanks that was exactly what i wanted to know.

I'll start with esp-google-iot as this is what i need for now.

Thanks!

Digital_Pig

Postby Digital_Pig » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:15 pm

ESP_Amit wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:51 am
We have tested esp-aws-iot working with esp-va-sdk.
Hi Amit,

Can you help me to understand the setup for this? I have the ARN set correctly in the sdkconfig, and I copied over the certs from my AWS IoT project online to the additional_components/va-aws-iot/certs folder.

I also did a test for MQTT from my desktop and could connect using the certs to my IoT device on AWS IoT, but when I make the project and flash it to my Lyra-TD MSC board it doesn't seem to communicate. Both ends seem to be working just fine, I can issue "Alexa..." commands to my Lyra board, but tying the 2 endpoints together seems to be a challenge.

How does the SDK communicate via MQTT to AWS?

ANY help here would be greatly appreciated.
Paul

amyacker

Postby amyacker » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 am

ESP_Amit wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:51 am
esp-va-sdk is useful for developing a device with voice assistants (GVA/Alexa) in-built and only supports voice based query-response flow.

In order to control a relay using voice commands, there are two ways:
1. Controlling the relay by talking to the device itself. In this case you would need esp-va-sdk.
2. Controlling the relay by giving voice command to an Echo Dot or Google Home speaker. In this case you do not need to use esp-va-sdk.

Now in order to actually control the relay,
* If you want to use Alexa Eco-system, you need to use esp-aws-iot
* If you want to use Google Eco-system, you need to use esp-google-iot

You can use support both in a single application as well. We have tested esp-aws-iot working with esp-va-sdk. But esp-google-iot should theoretically work with esp-va-sdk as well.
Thanks, This was helpful. I think ic can use google iot and cloud functions for that. If i want to directly use it with google assistant, i have to write a google assistant action.

martinho

Postby martinho » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:07 am

Hi,
Can we integrate both
https://github.com/espressif/esp-google-iot
https://github.com/espressif/esp-aws-iot

with ESP HomeKit SDK together into one device and operate in the same time ?

Thanks.