Lower power consumption when starting wifi

RonvdPlas

Lower power consumption when starting wifi

Postby RonvdPlas » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:57 am

Hello,

I'm trying to lower the power consumption of the ESP32 when connected to WiFi.
Ideally i would like it run beneath 250 mA with small peaks to 300 mA because my power supply is limited.
For normal operation i can make it to run stable by lowering the TX power and setting the power safe mode, however i can only change these values when the wifi stack has already been started (so after esp_wifi_start).
During the start sequence i'm measuring a big spike in current. So the result is that i get a brownout because my power supply is limited (for this application i can't change the supply).

I'm wondering if somebody would know if this big spike while starting the wifi stack (esp_wifi_start()) can be limited. My guessing it uses the default TX power during this sequence, and after that i can change it to a lower power.

Thanks in advance!

kermitfuckingfrog

Re: Lower power consumption when starting wifi

Postby kermitfuckingfrog » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:50 pm

What's wrong in this forum? So many views but nobody gives a shit and replies.. what a shitty website.

So you could just put a capacitor in parallel to ur ESP-Board. 5V---CAPACITOR---GND

100µF µF should be enough to supply enough current during the "spikes".

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:50 am

RonvdPlas

Postby RonvdPlas » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:54 am

kermitfuckingfrog wrote: What's wrong in this forum? So many views but nobody gives a shit and replies.. what a shitty website.

So you could just put a capacitor in parallel to ur ESP-Board. 5V---CAPACITOR---GND

100µF µF should be enough to supply enough current during the "spikes".
Thanks, I'm working on a new hardware design and will try around with some capacitors.
WiFive wrote: Did you try no calibration? https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... ation.html
I'll give it a shot!

Crypth

Postby Crypth » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Having a bit of the same problem. When the signal is bad, the chip brownouts a lot. Did you solve the problem?

What debug log levels are necessary to verify if it does a full or partial calibration?
IoT hacking all night long.