Adafruit HUZZAH32 compatible with ESP32 IDF?

PaulELong

Adafruit HUZZAH32 compatible with ESP32 IDF?

Postby PaulELong » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:31 pm

I'm building a project using the ESP32-IDF (not Arduino). It's working on a Hiletgo ESP32S driving an OLED screen and communicating via BLE. The advice on Adafruit's website seems to indicate it's tested for Arduino IDE and says "with a USB interface that lets you quickly use it with the Arduino IDE or the low-level ESP32 IDF". I like the integrated battery of Adafruit, so I want to know if it should be easy to run my app on the HUZZAH32 hardware with my current project that doesn't use Arduino? Besides, isn't Arduino just C++ behind the scenes, so what could be different?

Anybody have advice?

Thanks, Paul

davidzuhn

Re: Adafruit HUZZAH32 compatible with ESP32 IDF?

Postby davidzuhn » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:35 pm

You certainly CAN use the Huzzah32 as a platform for native ESP-IDF programs. You have to pay attention to I/O pin definitions, since you don't have a definition for them within the IDF itself. You can grab them from the Arduino code, or just use the pinout diagrams from the Adafruit site (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... er/pinouts). For example, you'll need to set BLINK_GPIO to 13 to use on-board LED in the blink example program. That's an option to change in via 'idf.py menuconfig'.

Easy-peasy. I've been using these with various IDF versions for over a year now. No problems at all, since Arduino is really just a thin layer atop the IDF.

david

PaulELong

Re: Adafruit HUZZAH32 compatible with ESP32 IDF?

Postby PaulELong » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:09 pm

Thank David, that's great to hear. Suppose the info on their site might be old or incorrect so it's good to see somebody has it working sucessfully.

-Paul