ESP-IDF V4 on PlatformIO

Aussie Susan

ESP-IDF V4 on PlatformIO

Postby Aussie Susan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 am

Now that ESP-IDF V4.0 has been released (and thank you for that), is there any word on when a version will be released that can be used on PlatformIO?
I've written code that needs some of the new V4 BLE API but when I have tried to copy the previous V4 development versions to PlatformIO, I've ended up with an unworkable mess and the comments from the PlatformIO people as (summarised) "wait for Espressif to port it".
(The thread that announced V4 being released is locked or I'd be asking there.)
Susan

ESP_Angus

Re: ESP-IDF V4 on PlatformIO

Postby ESP_Angus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:52 am

Hi Susan,
Aussie Susan wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 am
Now that ESP-IDF V4.0 has been released (and thank you for that), is there any word on when a version will be released that can be used on PlatformIO?
I've written code that needs some of the new V4 BLE API but when I have tried to copy the previous V4 development versions to PlatformIO, I've ended up with an unworkable mess and the comments from the PlatformIO people as (summarised) "wait for Espressif to port it".
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question or situation, but platform.io is developed by the platform.io team not by Espressif.

In the past I think they've waited for stable releases before making any updates to platform.io IDF support, and I found this comment from Ivan Kravets which seems to indicate it's the same this time. You'll need to find out from them exactly what their plans are.
Aussie Susan wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 am
(The thread that announced V4 being released is locked or I'd be asking there.)
That's quite OK, we lock the announcement posts to try and keep the discussion granular instead of every IDF V4 related question going in one giant thread.

Aussie Susan

Postby Aussie Susan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:31 am

OK - probably my mis-interpretation of the last post in https://community.platformio.org/t/how- ... df/4598/14 where they do actually say they don't integrate beta releases (my emphasis of the work I managed to skip over).
I'll take this up over on that forum.
Susan

username

Postby username » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:34 am

Code: Select all

I'll take this up over on that forum.
Susan
I wish you well there. They are not to helpful with staying on the bleeding edge with ESP. Heck they still have no way to make changes to menuconfig. Without that I don't see why anyone would bother using platformIO for ESP. Its a critical piece to have IMHO.

Aussie Susan

Postby Aussie Susan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 am

At least mine was not the only post on this topic: https://community.platformio.org/t/supp ... f-v4/11986
Susan