minicom can't connect serial port (UART)?

roctwo

minicom can't connect serial port (UART)?

Postby roctwo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:01 am

Hi,all
I am trying to set up Jtag environment for esp32 debug,but when I set up gdb environment the minicom can't connect serial port,always getting error message:"minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: No such file or directory".
Is there someting wrong for my operation , your help will be much appreciated,thanks~

madscientist_42

Re: minicom can't connect serial port (UART)?

Postby madscientist_42 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:43 pm

roctwo wrote:Hi,all
I am trying to set up Jtag environment for esp32 debug,but when I set up gdb environment the minicom can't connect serial port,always getting error message:"minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: No such file or directory".
Is there someting wrong for my operation , your help will be much appreciated,thanks~
That's because the USB TTY isn't getting generated by Linux/*BSD for you.

There's a handful of possibilities for this- but without a bit more info, I don't think anyone could get more than that first sentence for you there.

First things first, we need a bit more info from you to be able to tell you more.

- Which distribution are you using?
- Which board are you using? (USB Serial does differ on some of the boards...)
- How are you hooking up the ESP32 module/devboard to your Linux/*BSD system?

That's a start for help. We can go from there as we help sort out the issue for you. :D

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Oh, and forum mods? Can we move this post? It doesn't belong in "News"... :twisted:

roctwo

Postby roctwo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:32 am

Thank you for your reminding , I am sorry for my carelessness,the detail info as below:
Hardware Information:ESP-WROVER-KIT that integrates a USB debugger,I use the USB interface connect to PC;
Enviroment : Need to install OpenOCD to a Linux system to do ESP32 JTAG debugging;
My reference document is jtag_debugging_for_esp32_cn,http://espressif.com/zh-hans/products/h ... /resources
when I set up environmnet for gdb,always getting error message:"minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: No such file or directory",I think maybe the ESP-WROVER-KIT don't be identified on Linux system?

For move the post,of cource you can,pls help it ,thanks~

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:37 am

That devkit uses /dev/ttyUSB1 as the serial port; ttyUSB0 is reserved for JTAG. Can you see if it still does not work if you use /dev/ttyUSB1 instead? If it doesn't, can you copy-paste the output of 'ls /dev/ttyUSB*' here?

roctwo

Postby roctwo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:56 am

Hi,dear
Thanks for your suggesting,I am trying to use /dev/ttyUSB1 instead,still getting the wrong message "minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyUSB1: No such file or directory";
And I use the output of "ls /dev/ttyUSB*",getting the message"cannot access '/dev/ttyUSB*': No such file or directory";
I think maybe the Linux system(Ubuntu 16.10 ) don't identify the USB serial port(COM) which connect the ESP-WROVER-KIT to PC,so why the ESP-WROVER-KIT USB serial port(COM) can not be identify in the Ubuntu,is there something wrong for my procedure?
Your help will be very appreciated,Thanks!

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:12 am

Looks like it. Some quick checks:
- Do any of the LEDs (especially D7) light up when you have the thing connected?
- On JP7, do you have a jumper on the two pins closest to the USB connector?
- Is the little switch near the barrel connector in the 'on' position?

Also, can you give me the output of the 'lsusb' command?

roctwo

Postby roctwo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:01 am

Hi,dear
Very appreciated your proposal,this problem be resolved this morning,thanks very much~

illy@scharco.de

Postby illy@scharco.de » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello,

I have just bought the ESP32 Wrover Kit and try to compile the first example (hello_world).
I am having quite the same issue, I have configured the serial port through make menuconfig config to /dev/ttyUSB1
Then when doing command make flash (it is quite long, more than 10 min by the way...) I get the failure:
File "C:/msys32/mingw32/lib/python2.7/site-packages/serial/serialwin32.py", line 62, in open
raise SerialException("could not open port {!r}: {!r}".format(self.portstr, ctypes.WinError()))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port 'C:/msys32/dev/ttyUSB1': WindowsError(2, 'Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.')
make: *** [/home/Illy/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/Makefile.projbuild:55: flash] Fehler 1

The D7 is red, jumper right set the switch as well. When checking serial port with Putty, I have PORT4 and 5 for the device. Port 5 is displaying dbg, port4 nothing.

With lsusb I get -bash: command not found

Have you any idea what step I can't take now? In the doc I didn't find any advice for that issue.

Thanks,

illy