Custom project config with IDF4.0+ and CMake

barakchamo

Custom project config with IDF4.0+ and CMake

Postby barakchamo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Hi folks,

ESP-IDF newbie here :D

I'm working on my first ESP-IDF project, having converted it from a Platfrom.io Arduino project.
I managed to set up the CMake files, convert PIO libs to components, and everything is working so far.
I'm struggling to figure out how to convert a few final aspects of my PIO project, and since 4.0 is using
CMake I'm a little unclear on which examples on documentation to follow.

Basically, my question is where can I stick custom project configuration, the equivalent of what would
go in a platformio.ini file for things such as:
- additional compiler flags
- custom CPP defines
- multiple build/device targets
- running pre- and post-build python hooks

I dug around the 4.0 CMake build system documentation and it seems like two candidates for custom configuration
are the CMakeLists files and the KConfig files, but I couldn't get anything to work.

For example:
- I'm trying to use a -O2 compilation optimization flag which I understand needs to be passed as a CPP flag, but was unable to get that to work.
- I'm trying to pass FIRMWARE_VERSION and DEVICE_VERSION flags that are defined at build timed but not sure where to stick them and how to create multiple targets for each device the build is targeting.
- I'm trying to run a pre-build hook to increment that FIRMWARE_VERSION coming from a saved json file, but not sure where to run it from.

I'd really appreciate any pointers on how to begin customizing the build system to fit these requirements.

Thanks!