Comparison of FreeRTOS vs. NuttX under esp idf

wevets

Comparison of FreeRTOS vs. NuttX under esp idf

Postby wevets » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:49 pm

I recently saw an article on getting started with NuttX on the ESP32 by Sara Monteiro, an embedded software engineer at Espressif. At this point I'm pretty committed to FreeRTOS for my current project, but I'm intrigued. Is there an article that compares FreeRTOS with NuttX to which you can point me, especially something that would describe the kinds of projects for which one or the other might be better?

Thanks.

ESP_Sprite

Re: Comparison of FreeRTOS vs. NuttX under esp idf

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:38 am

Note that from what I understand, NuttX is it's own ecosystem and it's not possible to combine it with ESP-IDF. FreeRTOS on the other hand is only the RTOS component, so it needs ESP-IDF as support.

wevets

Postby wevets » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:10 am

You might want to take a look at the article that got me wondering. It's at
https://medium.com/the-esp-journal/gett ... 3e1a3d182c

It purports to be by an Espressif embedded software engineer, Sara Monteiro. And the article seems to make use of the esp-idf quite a bit. Of course, the fact that FreeRTOS is pretty well integrated with the esp-idf makes me wonder how much of the esp-idf can be used with NuttX, but the article is intriguing.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:04 am

from that article: "At this point, a conceptual note is very important, NuttX does not use FreeRTOS in any internal layer, only a few auxiliary tools that make up the IDF will be used for generating the binary and flashing it."

wevets

Postby wevets » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:08 am

OK. So no articles of which you are aware that compare the two OS's. I'm pretty happy with FreeRTOS, but seeing an article on NuttX from an Expressif software engineer made me wonder about it.

Thanks for the reply.