Software constantly reset after flash encyption. Factors for bootloader size?

Womboo

Software constantly reset after flash encyption. Factors for bootloader size?

Postby Womboo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:48 pm

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for any help.

I have a problem where after flashing a wrover-e with flash encrypted software I get constant software resets as seen from monitor.

Code: Select all

rst:0x3 (SW_RESET),boot:0x1b (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:2
load:0x3fff0018,len:4
load:0x3fff001c,len:1040
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40078000,len:11584
load:0x40080400,len:5904
entry 0x400806ac
ets Jul 29 2019 12:21:46
If I flash un-encrypted I have no issues. I am using idf v3.3.2 stable.

I have had this issue in the past due to too large a bootloader that was resolved by removing its log output. However after some changes to the application (and nowhere else) I now have this issue. Also, if I look at the size of the bootloader.bin file from the windows file explorer it is 19kb, under the bootloader size limit. Is this not accurate?

So knowing that the only changes were in the application is there something I can do to change bootloader file size? I cannot change the partition table as there are units in the field, without some OTA implementation to change the custom partition table. Is bootloader size even the problem? Are there other reasons for constant software resets?

Thank you

WiFive

Re: Software constantly reset after flash encyption. Factors for bootloader size?

Postby WiFive » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:33 pm

If your bootloader has no logging it is hard to say where the reset happens. It looks like the bootloader is correctly loaded from flash and executed. Does your app have logging so you at least know it happens before the app runs?

Womboo

Re: Software constantly reset after flash encyption. Factors for bootloader size?

Postby Womboo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:39 pm

WiFive wrote: If your bootloader has no logging it is hard to say where the reset happens. It looks like the bootloader is correctly loaded from flash and executed. Does your app have logging so you at least know it happens before the app runs?
Thank you for the reply. I did temporarily have logging enabled and did not receive any other output. Ultimately I copied the msys32 directory from a colleague and deleted my entire directory and it has resolved the issue. Have to move on unfortunately.

Of note is that before doing this I copied an old project revision from our backups and dropped it in and this did not work. Also the current project worked on his machine. Something with my environment. It also failed with a pulled production hardware piece and multiple known good programmers (FTDI) and USB cables. I also tried deleting and grabbing a new esp-idf directory so it seems something outside that.