Project Launch Bar missing in Eclipse plug-in for IDF

mwirth

Project Launch Bar missing in Eclipse plug-in for IDF

Postby mwirth » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:57 pm

Folks,
Just installed a fresh current version of Eclipse on my MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur, 11.0.1, and the current ESP-IDF plugin for Eclipse:
  • Eclipse Version: 2020-12 (4.18.0), Build id: 20201210-1552 with all current updates installed.
  • Espressif IDF Plugins for Eclipse 1.2.4.202101041022 com.espressif.idf.feature.feature.group ESPRESSIF SYSTEMS (SHANGHAI) CO., LTD
Going through the exercise of building a test app to checkout the plugin, all is well until I reach the Configuring Launch target step at the following location in the pdf-eclipse-plugin repo readme.md file:
At this point, the instructions read:
Next, we need to tell CDT to use the toolchain for our project so that all the headers will be indexed and resolved. This is accomplished through the Launch Bar, the new widget set you see on the far left of the toolbar.
This is ambiguous because there's no screenshot to illustrate what the widget set should look like. (Documentation request: Please add a screenshot here.} A bit of web searching showed me what it should indeed look like, and the fact that the entire Launch Bar is missing!. Tried to create a new ESP project several times, including both Hello World and Blinky examples, selected and deselected the project in the navigation pane, right clicked it, restarted Eclipse, updated all installed tools, all to no avail.

Apparently this problem has occurred before, but was fixed, now recurred.

How can I fix this? Is there a workaround?

TIA,

Mike

J00003

Re: Project Launch Bar missing in Eclipse plug-in for IDF

Postby J00003 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:21 pm

If I may pile on here...
The next screen shot under the title "Compiling the Project" shows the icons from the "old" launchbar tool that was used in the Arduino plugin. This has been removed and is not included in eclipse 2020-12 (ie: CDT), which is the recommend version of eclipse.
Something is obviously missing here :D

As noted in the "Configuring Launch target" section, there needs to be a way to configure the toolchain for building and indexing. Since the Launchbar is no more, we need instructions or at least an example of how to configure the project properties correctly.

Please update the docs!
Thanks,

J00003

Postby J00003 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:34 pm

Found a similar looking discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=13923, where it's suggested to install an old version of eclipse to recover the launchbar.
I'd really like to move forward with this, not backward ;)

J00003

Postby J00003 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:49 pm

Update:
I've installed the latest beta (v2.0.0-beta) eclipse plugin (from here: https://github.com/espressif/idf-eclips ... n/releases) and it pretty much works. Except since there is no launchbar in Eclipse2020-12 (in CDT) you still have to workaround this for building, flashing & launching.
So right-clicking on the project and using "Build Project" and "Clean Project" work just fine, even though a bit awkward/clunky.
You can always define a key mapping as outlined here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/264 ... ld-project. This makes building a little smoother at least.

So my workarounds so far are:
- use the beta plugin
- setup a keybinding for Alt-B to build my project(s) in eclipse.
- flash the image to the board on CLI with "idf.py -p COMx flash"
- Monitor serial port using putty (setup to use the same COMx port), or you can use CLI via "idf.py -p COMx monitor"

Any other thoughts?

alexsmith

Postby alexsmith » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:55 am

In my case I had to turn it on in Window->Preferences->Launching->Launch Bar->Enable the Launch Bar. Took me a while to find it :lol: (Eclipse IDE for Embedded C/C++ Dev 2021-06 4.20.0)

atrentadue

Postby atrentadue » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:07 am

Hello
in eclipse 2022-09 the "Laubch Bar" setting is located under Window->Preferences->Run/Debug->Launching
An I needed to activate manually as well.

falc19238

Postby falc19238 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:42 am

Hi,
I am also currently using Eclipse 2022-09 with ESP-IDF version 2.5.0, but I am unable to find any settings related to a Launch Bar in Window -> Preferences.

Jbhome

Postby Jbhome » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:41 pm

I'm having the same problem however... I managed though I'm not sure how, to make the second launch item visible. This allowed me to enable the Launch bar and follow through the rest of the instructions. Unfortunately now some references in the code are broken so I can't compile.
I tried a full uninstall and reinstall of Eclipse and the ESPIDF plugin and am back to no "Enable Launch Bar" item in the Debug/Launch section of Eclipse prefs.
I have contacted Espressif about this and hopefully they will either fix the issue or change their instructions.
There are so many different sets of instructions that all end with the same result the Launch bar is missing.
Some research says it's been removed however as I mentioned previously, I was able to turn it on.
Hopefully Espressif will do a better job of maintaining these instructions, especially in cases where a new release breaks them.