ESP-MESH creating orphaned network segments

Snedig

ESP-MESH creating orphaned network segments

Postby Snedig » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:49 am

Hi,

I am using ESP WIFI MESH for an autonomous system with 83 nodes. I do not have physical access to the system, but I have made an OTA function that works fairly well, so I am able to remotely update the software.

The network is set up with a fixed root and no router, and is using self organized.

I am having the problem that on this network, several segments have formed that falsely report that they have a connection to the root. This is causing the nodes to often connect to an orphaned network segment, which keeps them from reporting through the root which has a 4G modem.

I have tried keeping the nodes from disconnecting the mesh (the nodes turn off the mesh once they have synchronized with the root device), and this has made the correct network take over some nodes, but there seem to be several orphaned sections, so most of the nodes (around 60-70 of them) seem to prefer to connect to the orphaned segments.

Any ideas to make the orphaned nodes reconnect to the correct network? And what could cause this behaviour?

Best regards,
Preben

BrookR

Re: ESP-MESH creating orphaned network segments

Postby BrookR » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:22 am

Hi Preben,

I'm currently looking into a system that is similar to yours, except I'm not able to get my OTA working past the root node.. any pointers? I've so far got nowhere as to how to disseminate it through the mesh after receiving the OTA...

In regards to your disconnect problem, I'd have a look into what the RSSI disconnection level is set first and see if any "orphaned" nodes are surpassing to the point of creating their own segment(s). I'd also have a look into the max number of nodes on a layer or max number of layers assigned to your mesh network also; this would tell you if your layers are too tightly restricted for your mesh size.

If you've not already thought about it, WiFi is quite the wide reaching protocol so depending on how far your first layer is from the designated root, you may be looking at a 3 or 4 layer network. i'm not sure how your network is positioned but that might be something to have a think about.

Kind regards,

B
Thanks,
BR