[HELP] Saving sets of program parameters with ESP IDF

atlesg

[HELP] Saving sets of program parameters with ESP IDF

Postby atlesg » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:56 am

Hi! I'm don't know what's the best method to deal with my problem

I need to save some of my variables (integer/float) in term of programs.

For example:
program[0] {int quantity=5, float speed =3.4f,...}
program[1] {int quantity=2, float speed =19.2f,...}
program[n] {int quantity=A, float speed =B.xf,...}

So can choose which program to use by indexing the N index in my main code.

I have read the documentation about SPI flash (not totally understand everything) but there is no example code for the SPI flash in ESP IDF. The only example that I understand is NVS flash that use key pair/value method, so I guess if I have 10 values then 10 pairs? (which is very manual thing to do).

I suppose the easiest way to me is some kind of struct then we create a array contains the structs "program" then we set the value in the corresponding structs then save everything to flash - or any possible storage device in ESP32. Please show me the best way to do so (I am using ESP32-WROOM-32E module).

Thank you! :D

ESP_Sprite

Re: [HELP] Saving sets of program parameters with ESP IDF

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:08 am

There's multiple ways. Raw flash is one, but you'd be lacking wear leveling. NVS indeed is another one, you could either store the programs as a blob or have keys like 'quantity05' for the quantity field of program 5, or even have a separate namespace for each program (open namespace 'program05', get key 'quantity'). As a third alternative, you could have a spiffs file system and save the programs as files there. There's not really a 'best' solution, use whatever fits your taste.