Power Saving for Chair occupancy detection

JainamShah

Power Saving for Chair occupancy detection

Postby JainamShah » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:42 am

Hello Everyone,
I am working on Chair occupancy detection project.. In that I am using 4 ADC channel and WiFi for send and receive data. In Active mode ESP consume 103mA. And in minimum modem mode, while in STA mode my ESP32 takes 30mA-40mA current and at the time of sending data to server It takes 80-90mA. This consumption is high for my project.

Also every 3-5 second the current consumption goes to peek of 70-90mA without any event that I don't able to understand.

If anyone have any idea that decrease the consumption of my ESP32 board will helpful for me..

Victoria Nope

Re: Power Saving for Chair occupancy detection

Postby Victoria Nope » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:34 pm

If you don't need to be permanently connected to wi-fi network with your module, you might use the ULP coprocessor. You would put the main cores in the deep sleep, measure your stuff using ADC by ULP coprocessor, wakeup the main cores when needed and connect to wi-fi to exchange data and go back to sleep.

If you need to stay permanently connected, power consumtion will be higher than not being so; that's by design though (and that's why e.g. BLE for Bluetooth had been designed).

JainamShah

Re: Power Saving for Chair occupancy detection

Postby JainamShah » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Victoria Nope wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:34 pm
If you don't need to be permanently connected to wi-fi network with your module, you might use the ULP coprocessor. You would put the main cores in the deep sleep, measure your stuff using ADC by ULP coprocessor, wakeup the main cores when needed and connect to wi-fi to exchange data and go back to sleep.

If you need to stay permanently connected, power consumtion will be higher than not being so; that's by design though (and that's why e.g. BLE for Bluetooth had been designed).
Thank You so much for your reply.. :D
There is a need of Wifi to permanently connected.. In mean time I have made some changes like I have use maximum modem sleep and configure the Wifi listen interval to 59. So, Now I am getting better power saving results then earlier. I am attaching the graph of current consumption.

There is one thing I need to know in the graph. I am getting peak at every six second. In that one peak is beacon interval for Wifi. I don't know about the second small peak.

I have just put the Wifi in the STA mode.. No other peripherals are connected at this time. Can you explain me what are those peaks.
Attachments
STA_mode_reading.JPG
STA_mode_reading.JPG (45.38 KiB) Viewed 1973 times