"Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again"

maldus

"Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again"

Postby maldus » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:42 pm

Hello everyone,
I recently setup a new development machine for ESP32 devices (Linux, ESP-IDF v4.3). Everything goes smoothly as expected and I'm able to compile and flash my firmware. However there is one additional warning that I had never seen before and doesn't come up in my usual setup (same ESP-IDF version): when interacting with the device through the serial port there is always a step where the chip type is not detected:

Code: Select all

Detecting chip type... Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again
After this there is a new attempt and the chip is recognized as an ESP32. It is part of esptool.py (https://github.com/espressif/esptool/bl ... ol.py#L384). What could be the cause? Should I be concerned or can I safely ignore it?

Victoria Nope

Re: "Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again"

Postby Victoria Nope » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:13 pm

This behavior is explained few lines sooner in this comment. First, ESP32-C3 and newer is tried to be detected; if that fails, detection falls down to the "legacy" way for older chip models.

So, this message is what you'd expect to get printed for ESP32 (or to be precise, any chip older than ESP32-C3).