FW load getting A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet header

tjmesp32

FW load getting A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet header

Postby tjmesp32 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Hello
I'm having a problem loading compiled programs into the esp32.
Initially I built the hello_world example on Ubuntu running in an Oracle vbox and flashed it fine - monitor showed it restarting and printing its message over and over again.
I then tried a different program to try flashing some leds and started getting the error. (See
Failed_upload.PNG
Failed_upload.PNG (38.62 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
) I thought it might be a timing problem caused by vbox and so I installed the IDF on my Windows10 host so the USB would be direct. But I'm getting the same problem. I tried to manually set the esp32 into boot mode (
Waiting_for_download.PNG
Waiting_for_download.PNG (29.06 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
and then flash without the --before default_reset but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

kolban

Re: FW load getting A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet header

Postby kolban » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:37 pm

What is the nature of your ESP32? Is it a well known module? If so, which type.

I think we want to pick one failing environment and stick with that to get it resolved ... that way we can look at just one combination at a time. First thing to check is that the OS sees the USB UART port. I'd also suggest testing with a couple of different USB cables.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

tjmesp32

Postby tjmesp32 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:15 pm

@kolban Hello Neil - thanks for responding and I'm sorry for taking so long to reply
The board in question is a DOIT Devkit V1. I tried a couple of usb cables with no luck; however, I also tried a second usb->uart connected to uart0 and this works for flashing but I have to reset manually as the usb doesn't breakout rts/cts/dtr (as well the board doesn't appear to break out GPIO 0). So my guess at this point is that the on-board usb->uart isn't working properly.

Also, I would like to thank you for both the ESP8266 and the ESP32 books; they have been very helpful

Many thanks
Tom

kolban

Postby kolban » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Howdy Tom, thanks for the kind words. Its go to the stage now where we have good availability for ESP32 and a variety of boards sub $10 ... I'd suggest getting another board and seeing if the issue persists. There are obviously other considerations. For example, drivers on the PC and other bits and pieces. The more permutations you have the better, testing two boards and having the same negative symptoms would eliminate a single board being an issue. If you have a different PC to test with as well, that would also be a useful clue.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32