ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 and ESP-IDF

hpmaxim

ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 and ESP-IDF

Postby hpmaxim » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:32 pm

I have virtually no experience working with ESP32. I have installed VS Code and then PlatformIO and ESP-IDF within VS Code. ESP-IDF appears to be version 1.5.1 (which seem to either be hopelessly obsolete or not matching the ESP-IDF version numbers distributed on github and elsewhere). When I attempt to create a new project on my ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 it gives me a framework option of Arduino, and nothing else. How do I use the Espressif IoT Development Framework instead of Arduino?

As a side note, I was able to "get it to work" by selecting a different board however I attempted to use xTaskDelayUntil, which didn't work. It appears I need to add "#define INCLUDE_xTaskDelayUntil 1" to FreeRTOSConfig.h, but according to this website:

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... ertos.html

You should use "menuconfig" (idf.py menuconfig) but there is no clear explanation as to where this should be run. However, I tried running "idf.py" as well as "idf.py menuconfig", and in both cases I get:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Espressif\frameworks\esp-idf-v4.4.3\tools\idf.py", line 36, in <module>
from idf_py_actions.tools import executable_exists, idf_version, merge_action_lists, realpath # noqa: E402
File "C:\Espressif\frameworks\esp-idf-v4.4.3\tools\idf_py_actions\tools.py", line 7, in <module>
import click
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'click'"

username

Re: ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 and ESP-IDF

Postby username » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:41 pm

it gives me a framework option of Arduino, and nothing else.
There is an issue with VSC concerning this on platformIO forum.
You should use "menuconfig" (idf.py menuconfig) but there is no clear explanation as to where this should be run.
If you click on the alien icon on the left you will see the option for "Run Menuconfig"
Screenshot 2022-11-24 093746.png
Screenshot 2022-11-24 093746.png (80.89 KiB) Viewed 1937 times

hpmaxim

Postby hpmaxim » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:40 am

Can you provide a reference to the VSC/PlatformIO issue you mentioned. Is there a resolution, anticipated resolution, or workaround? In my ignorance of how the toolchain works (or is setup, this seems like a real showstopper) and is especially vexing considering this is Espressif's Dev Board for their latest processor using their recommended software setup.

username

Postby username » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:09 am

this seems like a real showstopper) and is especially vexing considering this is Espressif's Dev Board for their latest processor using their recommended software setup.
You have to keep in mind that you installed 2 toolsets for the same IDE. That is going to cause problems. So it's technically not their fault. You need to pick one or the other. Either PlatformIO or Espressif's.

I don't remember that forum thread. Do a clean uninstall of both & VSC & pick one to install.
There is another way arround this to have both but I don't have time right now to explain it.
Basically there is a "portable" version of VSC. Using that, you can have two entirely separate installs of VSC and use platformIO in one and espressif's in the other. This is the way I have been doing it for years now and works great.

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:27 pm

username wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:09 am
Basically there is a "portable" version of VSC. Using that, you can have two entirely separate installs of VSC and use platformIO in one and espressif's in the other. This is the way I have been doing it for years now and works great.
Why?
In VS code you can enable/disable extensions per workspace.

username

Postby username » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:15 pm

Why?
In VS code you can enable/disable extensions per workspace.
True, I tried that early on but noticed that it caused me strange issues doing that. I didn't disable everything else when doing that. I.E. whatever else gets installed with each stays enabled. At least that was the case for me years ago.

For me I bounce between them often, and it makes it super easy when wanting to continue working at home. I just bring the USB stick home.

hpmaxim

Postby hpmaxim » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:03 pm

username wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:09 am
this seems like a real showstopper) and is especially vexing considering this is Espressif's Dev Board for their latest processor using their recommended software setup.
You have to keep in mind that you installed 2 toolsets for the same IDE. That is going to cause problems. So it's technically not their fault. You need to pick one or the other. Either PlatformIO or Espressif's.

I don't remember that forum thread. Do a clean uninstall of both & VSC & pick one to install.
There is another way arround this to have both but I don't have time right now to explain it.
Please assume I'm an idiot or at least completely ignorant. While, I have tons of experience writing C code, and have used embedded systems before (AVR and ARM), this is my first experience with ESP32 (or Espressif in general) and mostly with VS Code. My only prior experience with VS Code is building Marlin for 3D printer. I believe this requires PlatformIO which my understanding is an IDE for embedded systems -- as an extension to VS Code. There is also an extension to VS Code which is "Espressif IDF", but this is labelled version number 1.5.1. I don't believe this is actually the IDF, but rather an interface between VS Code and the IDF -- and actually I thought the Espressif IDF plug-in was a plugin into PlatformIO not, specifically, VSCode.

To make things more complicated I did find a post on the PlatformIO forum after you mentioned this which talked about requiring version 5.1 of the IoT Development Framework. I had installed version 4.43 (I think), which is the latest "release" version. I found that the current "latest" version of the IoT Development Framework appears to be 5.2 -- but the latest "compiled?" version appears to be 5.0 release-candidate (1?) (ie pre-release), the only version of 5.1 or 5.2 I could find were "source code."

Since the Espressif IDF plug-in appears to be just that, a plug in, and not the complete IDF I assume that it is referencing a separate install... But I tried independently installing the Espressif IoT Dev Framework (which of course isn't 5.1, because I can't find it) and I can't tell I changed anything. I also tried uninstalling it, but I can't tell it actually uninstalled, it seemed more like it just disabled it... Re-installing was just too fast. So if you can tell me how to do a "clean install", I'll give it a shot.

username

Postby username » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:44 pm

Please assume I'm an idiot or at least completely ignorant
Na... you're just new to it is all.

Are you against trying Espressif's Eclipse IDE ?
If not try this.
https://github.com/espressif/idf-eclips ... /README.md
Make note on that page to go here and download the install package.
"Espressif-IDE Offline Installer"

It's pretty good, but I am just hooked on using VSC.
If you still want to go the VSC route, I can give some tips to that. Just concerned that it might break whatever else your using VSC for that's why I go with the portable version.