JTAG USB debugger

facu__villa_

JTAG USB debugger

Postby facu__villa_ » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:06 pm

hello, I am using the ESP32-S3 board which has two usb ports.
One can be used as a JTAG debugger, but we also have the D+ and D- pins (GPIO19 and GPIO20) to use this interface.

My problem arises when I connect the two usb ports and in turn connect the D+ and D+ pins via USB, therefore I would have to get 3 ports connected to the computer but only two come out.
Surely the USB port that has JTAG incorporated is blocking the connection of the pins.
My question is if the JTAG of the port that has it could be disabled, since it would use this function from pins D+ and D+.
How would this default function be disabled?
I attach some images of how my connections would be
Attachments
ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1_v2-annotated-photo.png
ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1_v2-annotated-photo.png (366.52 KiB) Viewed 965 times
Debug-Help-ESP32S3-USB-Connections.png
Debug-Help-ESP32S3-USB-Connections.png (126 KiB) Viewed 965 times

ESP_Sprite

Re: JTAG USB debugger

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:52 am

The port labeled 'USB' already has GPIO19/GPIO20 connected; if you plug that into your computer you should be able to use USB-serial-JTAG to debug your chip. No need to add an extra USB connection.

facu__villa_

Postby facu__villa_ » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:00 pm

Hello, thanks for answering.

Yes, I know that already, but I need to use that USB port for something else, so I need an additional USB
My question is can I cancel the function of the USB as JTAG? Can these pins be disconnected from the port?

Regards

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:51 am

Gotcha. Yes, you can use that USB port as something else; if you enable anything related to TinyUSB the USB port will automatically switch over from the USB-serial-JTAG to the USB-OTG peripheral. This does however mean that USB-serial-JTAG can't be used over that port anymore: you'd need to use the UART and JTAG pins. As an alternative, you could hook up an external USB PHY to get a second 'usb port' where the USB-serial-JTAG would show up.