Newbie on ESP32 and FreeRTOS

YvesDS

Newbie on ESP32 and FreeRTOS

Postby YvesDS » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:59 am

Hi all,
I'm new to ESP32 and absolutly to FreeRTOS.
I'm trying to migrate from Arduino IDE to FreeRTOS and the ESP32 platform.

I've been reading a lot of sample code the last few days, and I must say it is somewhat confusing by times.
There seems to be a great benefit in stepping up to FreeRTOS and the ESP32....
But, could i find some good help here to migrate from Arduino IDE and toolchain to raw FreeRTOS and ESP32?

I could provide snippets of my arduino code, and would love to get it working under FreeRTOS.

I'm not a engineer or software develloper by studies, but i love the idea of the IoT maker world

Grtz,
Yves

martinayotte

Re: Newbie on ESP32 and FreeRTOS

Postby martinayotte » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 pm

You can still use Arduino-ESP32, as it sit on top of FreeRTOS, and when your required need to call some FreeRTOS, you can easily doing it.

Addi2438

Postby Addi2438 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:22 pm

It totally depends on what you are trying to archive.

The "problem" with the esp-idf is that there are way fewer libs you can use than when programming via arduino.
In some cases you end up in having to programm them by yourselfe.

Give us some examples of what exactly you want.

YvesDS

Postby YvesDS » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:55 am

martinayotte wrote:You can still use Arduino-ESP32, as it sit on top of FreeRTOS, and when your required need to call some FreeRTOS, you can easily doing it.
Hi!,

Does that mean one can within Arduino dedicate a task (or routine as i see it) to one of the two cores also?

I'm trying some stuff on a project, the setup of the project is to "trap" dogs passing a sensorarray of reflective photocells.
The moment they break the IR-beam, time should be caputred since a "startsignal" was given, and send to the second core where a task can do some calculations, and where the final output to and I2C LCD would be done, without interupting the work of the first core witch is busy with the logic side of the project (logic side beeing : controlling if a dog goes in one or the other direction, for that there is a second array of photocells that indicate the direction)
... is that possible?

Also i've read that the arduino approach of the ESP32 is about 65% slower than the FreeRTOS approach, is that correct too?

Anyway many thanks for offering some sort of support to a complete newbie on this platform

Grtz,
Yves

Addi2438

Postby Addi2438 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Does that mean one can within Arduino dedicate a task (or routine as i see it) to one of the two cores also?
Yes you can

see:
https://techtutorialsx.com/2017/05/09/e ... ific-core/
http://www.iotsharing.com/2017/07/how-t ... esp32.html

YvesDS

Postby YvesDS » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:44 am

Hi,

Great!!
Back to studying now :D

If i achieve something good, should i post it here? Or start a different thread?
Is there no such thing as a 'absolute beginners forum' where we can post things we try and then get some do and dont's from the pro's?

Anyway thanks a lot for this help
Grtz, Yves