ESP32-C3 USB Serial Console not working

edge30

ESP32-C3 USB Serial Console not working

Postby edge30 » Sat May 06, 2023 1:52 pm

Got a XIAO ESP32-C3 board. I'm using vscode + esp-idf 4.4.2 on a mac to program it.
My code can use the regular UART0 TXD, RXD pins to print logs, read and write my own commands with no problems.
Since this chip has a USB port that works as "usb serial/jtag controller" I'd like to do the same but via USB.
As per the documentation, I can use the console via the USB port: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... nsole.html
I'd just have to enable CONFIG_ESP_CONSOLE_USB_SERIAL_JTAG via menuconfig.
I did enable it, however:
- I can connect Ok using minicom to the USB serial port that shoes under /dev/tty.cu... but I see nothing been logged and any commands I type in the terminal do nothing, like the device is not receiving anything.
- using IDF Monitor I can see the logs been output. However I can't type any commands (I'm not familiar with idf monitor, maybe it is not intended to receive input but serves just for output). ESP monitor in menuconfig is ser to 921600 and, since there's no other baudrate setting available, I'd think the USB serial console should use the same right? which is what I"m using.

Is anyone familiar with the USB console feature on ESP32-C3 that can share some advise? maybe I need other settings to be enabled or maybe some change in the actual IDF programming?

Thanks

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-C3 USB Serial Console not working

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun May 07, 2023 7:56 am

No clue why Minicom doesn't work, but it usually does not reset the ESP32, so you could be looking at a running program that simply doesn't output anything maybe? 'idf.py monitor' supports bidirectional communication. How do you read for input in your esp-idf program? Do the console input examples of ESP-IDF work?