Can you transfer a file to PC without WiFi?

akolodner25

Can you transfer a file to PC without WiFi?

Postby akolodner25 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:39 pm

I am using an ESP32 that must comply with FDA regulations for medical devices, which means it cannot be connected to the Internet. We have a log file that we'd like to retrieve from the ESP32 without just printing its contents to the console and copying (because users need to be able to do it). We've considered writing it to an SD card, and transferring that to the computer, but until that's ready, is there any other way to transfer a file from SPIFFS storage to a computer? (Via Bluetooth would be great, but I can't find any way to do that, short of writing a file transfer protocol myself.)

tommeyers

Re: Can you transfer a file to PC without WiFi?

Postby tommeyers » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:38 pm

Yes, there are many ways; I can list 5 of them or...
You can't connect to the internet. Ok.

You can connect via WiFi without connecting to the internet. The internet is not tcpip or the Ethernet cable or wifi.

The device can be a server and your PC the the client. Or reverse server - client.
Use a non-internet route-able address (192. ...) Or 10. ...

Or use BT, its there
Or use esp now, your esp embedded using espnow, an esp on a dongle attached to your PC using esp-now.
Or use a serial cable, you have one for loading programs.

I have 20 more but they are more than a few clicks.

I think the can't use internet needs some definition. I am guessing it means that the device does not have a path to access the internet; that problem is solved by network security for every device attached to the network. Those are the people responsible to assure that the device cannot initiate a connection and the device cannot receive a connection. My guess. Simplifies your problem.

Tom Meyers
IT Professional, Maker
Santiago, Dominican Republic

tommeyers

Postby tommeyers » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:40 am

IT Professional, Maker
Santiago, Dominican Republic

akolodner25

Postby akolodner25 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:00 pm

Thank you very much! I'll look into all of these options :)