Does esp-32 support OTA with TCP/IP protocol?

hoo_wave

Postby hoo_wave » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:11 am

I have overviewed all OAT examples in espressif.com,they are all based on HTTP or HTTPS

I want to OTA firmware with phones,the bin file in the phone,esp32(at WIFI STA mode) connect phone's hotspot

(of course, there maybe need an smartphone App, I can handle it)

HTTP is not allowed in our company,and HTTPS need SSL/CA certificate,but the phone's ip is various

So I think the only way is to use TCP/IP, is there any other solutions? or any example with TCP/IP?

Thank you!

chegewara

Re: Does esp-32 support OTA with TCP/IP protocol?

Postby chegewara » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:37 am

Hi,
OTA is protocol agnostic, so you can use http, https, ws, ble, lora, mqtt, uart, tcp/ip or whatever you want, as long as you can pass bytes into protocol and extract the same bytes from protocol on esp32 and then route to OTA API.

MicroController

Postby MicroController » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:06 am

is there any other solutions?
A common solution is to have an HTTP(S) server run on the ESP, maybe with a minimalistic "upload firmware file" web page.
A phone app can then post the firmware via HTTPS, or you can use a browser to do it.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:08 am

hoo_wave wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:11 am
HTTP is not allowed in our company,and HTTPS need SSL/CA certificate,but the phone's ip is various
Note that if that rule is there because of security reasons, doing everything using a plain TCP connection probably goes against the spirit of the rule. Not sure if that'll get you in trouble.