BLE unreliable while WiFi is active

adam_ohara

BLE unreliable while WiFi is active

Postby adam_ohara » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi

We are currently working on a project that uses a custom BLE protocol to configure out device, including wifi configuration. What I have discovered is that while the BLE protocol works well, it isn't reliable while the wifi driver is enabled. My phone fails to connect about 3/5 times, and disconnects randomly. While the wifi driver is disabled, the BLE works flawlessly.

When the wifi is enabled and connected, there is a single socket connected to an MQTT broker. Very little communication happens over this socket.

Does anyone have any ideas about the potential issue? I have found similar questions, but they seem to suggest that the latest esp-idf (v3.0 I believe) should be capable of this.

Notes:

I stopped the sockets from being opened, so that the Wifi connection is simply idle. The BLE is still unreliable.

The BLE connection is currently not doing anything complicated. There is a single service, with a single characteristic that returns a pre-defined byte when read. Most of it is copied as per the example at https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... vice_table

chegewara

Re: BLE unreliable while WiFi is active

Postby chegewara » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:28 am

I didnt test esp-idf for few weeks now, but i can tell that in few projects ive been doing with wifi+ble there was no issue. I am using Kolban's ble library in all projects.

adam_ohara

Re: BLE unreliable while WiFi is active

Postby adam_ohara » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:09 am

I may have found the problem. Turning off the "Software controls WiFi/Bluetooth coexistence" option in the configuration seemed to boost the performance of the bluetooth. Still testing the implications of turning this option off however.