FPGA+ESP32 Intercommunication

thethinker

FPGA+ESP32 Intercommunication

Postby thethinker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Hello,
I have been working on a project which requires fast data compression and sniffer mac OUI lookup on the device it self. Since the number of OUIS are way too large and we don't have hardware compression capabilities on the ESP32, I was thinking of using a small Lattice FPGA to do these two tasks. So pretty much I want to use ESP32 to sniff, then pass the required sniffed data into the FPGA , then have FPGA do some operations, then get the data back from the FPGA and send it to a server (on a different thread, different core on esp32). However what this method requires is fast parallel communication bus between FPGA and ESP32. In this project I'm also need Ethernet therefore I'm using all the RMII pins.
So what would be the best method for implementing this in terms of the communication bus? Is there a DMA? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

ESP_igrr

Re: FPGA+ESP32 Intercommunication

Postby ESP_igrr » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:13 pm

SDIO should be easy enough to support on the FPGA, and ESP32 can act both as SDIO master and SDIO slave. Collect MACs into a sufficiently large buffer, then send the buffer over SDIO (driver will use DMA). 4-bit SDIO at 40MHz should close to 10MBps bandwidth.

Another option is I2S parallel mode (LCD mode); unfortunately I2S driver in ESP-IDF doesn't support this yet.

Xiong Yu

Re: FPGA+ESP32 Intercommunication

Postby Xiong Yu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:37 am

I'm also work on FPGA and ESP32 communication, but I'm using SPI.. :lol: