Comparison between BT Classic vs BLE

Ritesh

Comparison between BT Classic vs BLE

Postby Ritesh » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi,

We have started to work on ESP32 Bluetooth Stack and for that we are using ESP32 IDF 3.0 stable IDF.

So, We have requirement to transmit data up to 256 bytes of chunk over Bluetooth and we have initially tried with WiFi as well which works fine without any issue. Now, We want create same communication path over Bluetooth as well.

So, Does anyone tell me any Limitation for BLE vs Bluetooth Classic? Also need few more details regarding both BT Classic and BLE with examples as well. Also, Which profile is best suitable to use for both BLE and Bluetooth Classic?
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

kolban

Re: Comparison between BT Classic vs BLE

Postby kolban » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:18 pm

As you probably realize, Bluetooth is a specification and the ESP-IDF provides an implementation. A question of "comparison" between BLE and BT Classic is as much a discussion on the specification and theory of Bluetooth the protocol. If it were me, I'd work on the assumption that the ESP32 Bluetooth implementation is "correct" from a specification standpoint and then hit the books on Bluetooth specifications and theory. In my experience, I have always run-aground pretty quickly trying to design and implement a solution without buying and reading some books on the subject matter. Bluetooth is rich and complex. The specifications run to thousands of pages of detailed material but thankfully there are some good books and other source materials on the Internet that decode much of it.

I personally haven't broken the seal on Bluetooth classic and only know (the basics) of BLE. It might be that a design question on choosing BT Classic vs BLE might be best directed to a discussion group on BT as a concept as opposed to the specific implementation as distributed by ESP-IDF.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:02 pm

kolban wrote:As you probably realize, Bluetooth is a specification and the ESP-IDF provides an implementation. A question of "comparison" between BLE and BT Classic is as much a discussion on the specification and theory of Bluetooth the protocol. If it were me, I'd work on the assumption that the ESP32 Bluetooth implementation is "correct" from a specification standpoint and then hit the books on Bluetooth specifications and theory. In my experience, I have always run-aground pretty quickly trying to design and implement a solution without buying and reading some books on the subject matter. Bluetooth is rich and complex. The specifications run to thousands of pages of detailed material but thankfully there are some good books and other source materials on the Internet that decode much of it.

I personally haven't broken the seal on Bluetooth classic and only know (the basics) of BLE. It might be that a design question on choosing BT Classic vs BLE might be best directed to a discussion group on BT as a concept as opposed to the specific implementation as distributed by ESP-IDF.
Thanks Kolban for Reply.

I have gone thorough some of Bluetooth Classic Profiles and started to understand it like how it can be used.

So, I have also started to read Bluetooth Stack Architecture Document which is provided specific for ESP32.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

kolban

Postby kolban » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32