ESP32 on Pure IPV6 Network (no IPV4)

p-rimes

ESP32 on Pure IPV6 Network (no IPV4)

Postby p-rimes » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:03 am

I'd like to make sure that I can still use an ESP32 on a network that is IPv6-only. I can't seem to get any IPV6 packets received by the ESP32, although it seems to be getting on the IPv6 network correctly, and sending valid IPv6 DNS queries (AAAA records) which are processed by my local DNS test server.

To enable IPv6 advertised DNS servers, I added the following to CFLAGS: `-DLWIP_ND6_RDNSS_MAX_DNS_SERVERS=2`, and also did override `#define LWIP_DNS_ADDRTYPE_DEFAULT LWIP_DNS_ADDRTYPE_IPV6_IPV4` (so it queries for IPv6 AAAA records first before fallback to IPv4 A records).

After increasing LWIP logging I can see that the configured IPv6 nameservers from the router are detected by the ESP32, and DNS queries are sent but not received. The ESP32 does assign a valid IPv6 IP address for itself -- outgoing traffic seems fine. But no packets are routed/received to the ESP32. I am not able to ping the ESP32 IPv6 IP address, either.

I tried a few different laptops running IPv6 DNS queries (no issues), as well as a neighbour's alternate IPv6 wifi, but still no luck.

Is this something that should be supported out of the box? How can I get a pure IPv6 test going?

zhivko

Re: ESP32 on Pure IPV6 Network (no IPV4)

Postby zhivko » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:20 am

I have same problem - have you been able to solve this?