tcp socket speed 10Mbps only. How can I speed up?

paulbearne

Re: tcp socket speed 10Mbps only. How can I speed up?

Postby paulbearne » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi just thought add to this debate with a few things that will effect your tests and comparing with quoted specified speeds WiFi n has a max speed of 150Mbits and in a lab without outside influence that speed could be achieved. a few things firstly TCPIP will not achieve that speed as each packet is hand shook using syn ack mechanism it also has automatic retries now if you have another router close by these retries increase to ensure your transmitted data arrives. another delay can occur in the collision detection mechanism which incorporates a back off and retry mechanism. for speed you need to use udp but you need to allow for some possible data loss as no hand shaking or retry mechanism. also there are things in the lwip stack that can help with speed increasing the number and size of buffers also increasing the mtu a little mtu has a caveat if your sending to and from a pc as windows can get itself confused with fast large tcp packets if you want to see fully whats going on download a copy of the free pc app wireshark which will show what else is happening around you.

petermccloud

Postby petermccloud » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 pm

I'm getting extremely slow speeds with the stock tcp_perf example (commit:commit 597ce3b800cc4857e1939bbb937610a9e30c6e72 ). I'm running a pair of Sparkfun ESP32 Things.

Code: Select all

I (33861) tcp_perf:: tcp connection established!
I (33961) tcp_perf:: start sending...
I (36861) tcp_perf:: tcp send 0.04 Mbits per sec!

I (39861) tcp_perf:: tcp send 0.00 Mbits per sec!

abcdcadb

Postby abcdcadb » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:24 am

Hi all,

It has been a long time, I wonder that is there anyone found out a way to speed up wifi of ESP?

or at least, can anyone give me the highest speed ?