about aws cloud ota using mqtt on esp32

ngjones

about aws cloud ota using mqtt on esp32

Postby ngjones » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:54 am

Hi,

I have successfully interact with the aws cloud using the example in esp-idf (esp-idf/examples/protocols/aws_iot/thing_shadow). However, I am confused when I try to implement the ota features.

For the example provided in esp-idf/examples/system/ota/, it is using http to to get the image and then complete the ota process. However, if I want to use aws cloud to trigger ota using the aws iot core, it is supposed to use mqtt method to get the image. As we need to keep track to the ota status using the aws cloud platform so it seems we have no other way but to use the one provided by aws (mqtt method) rather than the http method provided in the esp-idf.

So I wonder if there is a plan to provide example on aws mqtt ota method in esp-idf? If not, any idea how to implement it to a esp-idf based application rather then start over from a pure aws freertos application provided by aws ?

Thanks,
Jones

ESP_Mahavir

Re: about aws cloud ota using mqtt on esp32

Postby ESP_Mahavir » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:40 am

Hi Jones,

Default ota examples in ESP-IDF provides mechanism where update image can be fetched from HTTPS endpoint. In case of AWS, image can be hosted in s3 bucket with pre-signed url or appropriate authorisation header field. However if you would like to have more sophisticated mechanism, e.g. controlling specific device pools for upgrade, status notification of upgrade from device then it is something that will be very much cloud implementation specific and not something supported in ESP-IDF examples.

Interim you may also explore AFR (supports ESP32 platform), you may refer to https://docs.aws.amazon.com/freertos/la ... e-esp.html for setting up ota demo. Other option is to port AFR specific middleware component/libraries to ESP-IDF (something that we do not have in our roadmap because ESP32 already supported in AFR).

Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Thanks.

couper321

Postby couper321 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:54 am

Hi there ngJones,

I'm faced with a similar situation, how did you end up solving this issue? did you end up porting some of the libraries? if so, are you able to go into detail about what you did?

I'm tempted to use the ESP-IDF OTA libraries, but I need the fleet management that the MQTT AWS FreeRTOS provides, except I need to use ESP-ADF for my project.

Cheers!

JuergenD

Postby JuergenD » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:52 am

Hello,
i have the same question. Has anybody a solution in the meantime? or a few hints or example which covers this? Or could expressif help out?

thanks

Juergen