ESP32 IDF installation confusion

-Rudy-

ESP32 IDF installation confusion

Postby -Rudy- » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:09 am

I tried to follow the installation procedure for the master branch for the ESP32 IDF. But when I tried the Hello_world example I got the following errors. I am on Windows 10 and I followed the instructions for the windows install.
rudy@HP MINGW32 ~/esp/hello_world
$ make flash
Toolchain path: /opt/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc
WARNING: Toolchain version is not supported: crosstool-ng-1.22.0-73-ge28a011
Expected to see version: crosstool-ng-1.22.0-80-g6c4433a
Please check ESP-IDF setup instructions and update the toolchain, or proceed at your own risk.
Compiler version: 5.2.0

Please check ESP-IDF setup instructions and update the toolchain, or proceed at your own risk.
The following Python requirements are not satisfied:
cryptography>=2.1.4
pyparsing>=2.0.3

The recommended way to install a packages is via "pacman". Please run "pacman -Ss <package_name>" for s
NOTE: You may need to run "pacman -Syu" if your package database is older and run twice if the previous
Please read https://github.com/msys2/msys2/wiki/Using-packages for further information about using "pac
WARNING: The cryptography package have dependencies on system packages so please make sure you run "pac
Alternatively, you can run "C:/msys32/mingw32/bin/python.exe -m pip install --user -r C:/msys32/home/ru
make: *** [C:/msys32/home/rudy/esp/esp-idf/make/project.mk:245: check_python_dependencies] Error 1
I cloned the espressif/esp-idf repository today. Why do I get the above warnings? What should I do to get the correct environment installed?

WiFive

Re: ESP32 IDF installation confusion

Postby WiFive » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:34 am

It says right there
run "pacman -Syu" if your package database is older and run twice

-Rudy-

Postby -Rudy- » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:43 am

run "pacman -Syu" if your package database is older and run twice if the previous
I ran it once and I got the errors I posted above. Since this was a new install, from a current git, why would I expect that it would be older?

But thank you for your help. It did get me to retry and I did get further. After playing snakes and ladders for a while I finally did get the two .py packages installed. It does compile now. But I still have the first problem, the old toolchain. I cloned the current ESP-IDF, should this not give me an up to date toolchain? No I guess. Then how do I go about updating it.

Or am I wrong in thinking that the ESP-IDF is the toolchain in question?

$ make flash
Toolchain path: /opt/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc
Compiler version: 5.2.0

Python requirements from C:/msys32/home/rudy/esp/esp-idf/requirements.txt are satisfied.

Project is not inside a git repository, will not use 'git describe' to determine PROJECT_VER.
App "hello-world" version: 1
Flashing binaries to serial port /dev/COM11 (app at offset 0x10000)...
esptool.py v2.7-dev
Serial port C:/msys32/dev/COM11
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:/msys32/home/rudy/esp/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/esptool/esptool.py", line 3065, in <module>
_main()
File "C:/msys32/home/rudy/esp/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/esptool/esptool.py", line 3058, in _main
main()
File "C:/msys32/home/rudy/esp/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/esptool/esptool.py", line 2756, in main
esp = chip_class(each_port, initial_baud, args.trace)
File "C:/msys32/home/rudy/esp/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/esptool/esptool.py", line 225, in __init__
self._port = serial.serial_for_url(port)
File "C:/msys32/mingw32/lib/python2.7/site-packages/serial/__init__.py", line 88, in serial_for_url
instance.open()
File "C:/msys32/mingw32/lib/python2.7/site-packages/serial/serialwin32.py", line 62, in open
raise SerialException("could not open port {!r}: {!r}".format(self.portstr, ctypes.WinError()))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port 'C:/msys32/dev/COM11': WindowsError(2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.')
make: *** [/home/rudy/esp/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/Makefile.projbuild:67: flash] Error 1
In addition to the old toolchain problem I get an error when trying to access the COM port that my ESP32 is connected to. I can start up a serial terminal program and access the ESP32 on COM11. I close the terminal program and try to program the compiled Hello_World program and I get the above errors. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Did I specify COM11 incorrectly?

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:39 am

Esp-idf is the sdk
Msys2 is the environment
Xtensa-esp32-elf is the toolchain

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... nvironment

The port is just COM11 without any path

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:49 am

-Rudy- wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:43 am
Since this was a new install, from a current git, why would I expect that it would be older?

I cloned the current ESP-IDF, should this not give me an up to date toolchain? No I guess. Then how do I go about updating it.
The "toolchain" is the compiler (gcc), linked (ld) and related GNU compiler tools ("binutils"). It's something used by the ESP-IDF SDK. It's not bundled inside the ESP-IDF directory itself.

Code: Select all

The error message suggests that the toolchain version you have is old, compared to what the ESP-IDF version you have is expecting.

- To update the installation you have, you can follow the link WiFive posted. Alternatively:

- If you installed MSYS2 by downloading the "all-in-one" zip file, check that you downloaded the latest version of this zip file. Instructions here. Maybe you were following installation steps for an older version of ESP-IDF than the one you have? If you downloaded an older .zip, maybe the easiest thing to do is to download the newer one and replace the C:\MSYS2 directory.

-Rudy-

Postby -Rudy- » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:10 am

ESP_Angus wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:49 am
Maybe you were following installation steps for an older version of ESP-IDF than the one you have?
I wanted to use the most current git so I followed the instructions Getting Started Guide for the latest (master branch) ESP-IDF version. https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... index.html

I will try again when I get home tonight.