Yet Another HTTP Server - This time - C++ oriented

kolban

Yet Another HTTP Server - This time - C++ oriented

Postby kolban » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 am

The world is awash in HTTP Servers ... so here is yet another ... this time crafted by hand for ESP32.

What makes this one mildly interesting is that it is exclusively C++ oriented. The core features so far are:
  • Written in C++ and leverages the C++ styles of use.
  • Supports WebSockets.
  • Supports REST handlers.
  • Supports file serving.
This is another one of those projects that I needed for my own purposes and polished up "enough" for we (the community) to get a flavor of where it is and where it could go. The wish list on it is now open so feel free to post what you might need from it that isn't already present.

I had a bash at initial documentation found here:

C++ HTTP Server
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

WiFive

Re: Yet Another HTTP Server - This time - C++ oriented

Postby WiFive » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:39 am

HTTPS and HTTP/2 on the roadmap?

kolban

Re: Yet Another HTTP Server - This time - C++ oriented

Postby kolban » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:21 pm

HTTPS ... yes sir ... in fact that should be pretty easy and Ive wanted to try setting up an mbetls/openssl server.
HTTP/2 ... not yet. I personally haven't had an opportunity nor immediate need to study that yet.

I find that I have more desire and opportunities for many different libraries that I want to make freely available than I have free time to tinker with them. As such I am "demand" and "interest" driven. I try and produce "enough" of the library for it to be consumable ... the phrase "Minimum Viable Product" comes to mind ... and then put it out there and listen/watch for "interrupts" from the community. When enough of the community members express a desire or a particular feature literally sounds "fun to build" ... then I'll try and add it.

In another project I needed to provide a UI for an ESP32 app. So I used a browser as the interface. I used a 3rd party HTTP Server in the ESP32 but they have license considerations and their library is super efficient, but also super low-level. I am also on a big C++ kick ... so got excited about an HTTP server and here we are.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32