Boot Linux on ESP32-S3

rudi ;-)

Re: Boot Linux on ESP32-S3

Postby rudi ;-) » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:24 pm

yokonav wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:44 am
Hi,

What are the steps to include micropython and lua when using the jcmvbkbc/rebuild-esp32s3-linux-wifi.sh script?

Thanks!
Hi
i do not use the mentioned 3rd script to include micropython and lua
so if you want know the steps to include micropython and lua when using the 3rd script is the best way
to ask the creator of the script.

If you want try byself, one possibility, however, would be to adapt the script so that it integrates specific user desired configurations during execution. Many possibilities with scripts - a lot of gimmicks possible - Take a closer look at the script and follow the process and how the individual configurations are made and setup the script to your user case and possibilities you want goes into.

If you want going comfortable way, you can use the buildroot.
it's an amazing tool for the kernel und root file system basicly, and used also adapted for this port.

An other possible way like i did/do is to cross compile with the toolchain and build all from scratch example micropython example Lua.

I am away for now from the s3linux software portings for a while of summbreak and changed to the hardware side for practice testing things and new s3linux software porting things in autumn for now.

JLYK: I am slowly to response - we have a long summerbreak here and back earliest 25. Sept regular. Not allways online in this.

best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

bass99

Postby bass99 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:09 pm

rudi ;-) wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:18 am
update:

Remote Build by ESP32-S3 SSH Client which runs #jcmvbkbc #esp32s3 #linux #esp32 S3 port

10. Aug 2023

the YT Video shows all steps:
( JFYI: i did the same technic ( remote compile on an NFS/SSH Server ) june/2016 for the ESP8266
whats not new is - but new is, the Linux SSH client on the ESP32-S3 MCU can trigger this by self on demand
showing simple things by second SSH client which can be " a script" :D i hope you get the idea behind -
there is also now a 100GB NFS Share mountet which we use as executable space for the ESP32-S3 - and that is amazing!
we can run example 2 different mpy versions same time, the one from S3Linux userspace, and the second from the
"100GB Developer/cloud live compilation" - we see live the change of each compilation, not need any more,
rebuild rootfs ( userspace ) 100x and reflash ESP32-S3 - we do simple the Develop in the mounted CLOUD SPACE. :mrgreen:

• remote build by ESP32-S3 SSH client which runs #jcmvbkbc #esp32s3 #linux #esp32 S3 port
  • ESP32-S3 runs #jcmvbkbc #esp32s3 #linux #esp32 S3 port which has also wifi and SSH support.
  • on the ESP32-S3 also runs native "posix" micropython and LUA ..
  • we connect from a PC by an SSH Client the ESP32-S3 (150) which runs a SSH Server.
  • the ESP32-S3 is also connected over wifi to the internet
  • we connect on ESP32-S3 ssh client internet timeserver and update local time on ESP32-S3.
  • we connect then cloud and mount the cloud to the ESP32-S3 as a shared folder which has 100GB space .
  • we serve to the cloud developer folder and cat the hi.c file.
  • we connect also a second putty ssh connection to the ESP32-S3 ssh server.
  • then we connect with the second ssh client on ESP32-S3 to the Developer Server (67) and serve to the cloud developer folder.
  • now we crosscompile the hi.c and run on the first ssh client the build
  • we do this moretime and patch also
  • last but not least ESP32-S3 runs binary build micropython from cloud share in the first ESP32-S3 client and also lua from ESP32-S3 userspace in the second SSH client same time..

( LUA YT Video ) also Micropyton installed

NFS Client runs on S3Linux and mounts a NFS Share (100GB) over WiFi

local console runs on wifi ssh server, 2 ssh clients connected per wifi and runs micropython port.
is this the world's first micropython server on a MCU?

run example 2 different mpy versions same time, the one from S3Linux userspace, and the second from the
"100GB Developer/cloud live compilation"

double_mpy.png

txs_.png

best wishes
rudi ;-)

hello all friends,
I'm new and congratulations to rudi and all the developers who made LINUX possible on ESP32.

My questions are 3:

1) I urgently need to replicate the webapps running on webServer Django and Flask now running on raspberry pi Zero. So currently what can the ESP32-S3 card really run, let me explain better given the small RAM ESP32-S3 Linux can also run complex Python3 webserver applications such as using Django and Flask interfaces, etc.?

2) Is there already a current fast and reliable Linux ROM image to run webServer?

3) Is there any commercially available ESP32-S3 board with 1GB RAM?

I should urgently switch the webServer project from raspberry to Esp32 card

A thousand thanks

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:30 am

N e w M i l e s t o n e

update 25. Aug 2023
==================
tweet || github:

• build things new and different from scratch
  • get 16 MB PSRAM working in the Linux Port for Xtensa MCU ESP32 S3
  • optimize linux kernel for IoT RAM also eMbedded System
  • optimize boot time
  • used engineering modul "ESP32-S3-WoWZa-N32R16"

used modul: "ESP32-S3-WoWZa-N32R16" Release date 13. Oct 2023

preTest was successful in ESP-IDF-5.0.2-dirty with 16MB(128Mbit) RAM, 32MB(256Mbit) RAM and 64MB(512Mbit) RAM ( you get 33.. MB in the heap allocator out of the box)
ESP32-S3-WoWZa-N32R64.jpg
ESP32-S3-WoWZa-N32R64
ESP32-S3-WoWZa-N32R64.jpg (537.06 KiB) Viewed 33231 times
best wishes
rudi ;-)

bass99 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:09 pm

hello all friends,
I'm new and congratulations to rudi and all the developers who made LINUX possible on ESP32.
Hi espfriend :)
bass99 wrote:

My questions are 3:

1) I urgently need to replicate the webapps running on webServer Django and Flask now running on raspberry pi Zero. So currently what can the ESP32-S3 card really run, let me explain better given the small RAM ESP32-S3 Linux can also run complex Python3 webserver applications such as using Django and Flask interfaces, etc.?
it runs micropython, lua, rust..... native on native linux port
your keyword is WSGI - yes and little more with this psram update now.
bass99 wrote:
2) Is there already a current fast and reliable Linux ROM image to run webServer?
there are test images online
there are different showup videos online and there are update tweets online
bass99 wrote:
3) Is there any commercially available ESP32-S3 board with 1GB RAM?
1GB PSRAM - thats a lot -
2023 - No MP
2024 - ask again :)

there is 512Mbit ( 64MB ) on the market available in 2023 yet, 1024 MBit (128MB) in Q2-Q3/24
there are MCP ( multi chip package ) with more die's, and the upcoming ESP32-P4 ( RiscV ) get an psram kickup and a new Showcase Post :)

bass99 wrote:

I should urgently switch the webServer project from raspberry to Esp32 card

A thousand thanks
thank you for the praise
get the idea behind :)
:D
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

barbiani

Postby barbiani » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:54 pm

Maybe it could be merged to https://github.com/eerimoq/monolinux

I can see apps development done much easier.

bass99

Postby bass99 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:38 pm

Hello to Rudy and all the friends who are carrying out this extraordinary project of the future.

I turn to Rudy,
Is there any news especially regarding ESP32-P4?
I'm not yet clear on the power of these current Linux images on ESP32. Can pure Python3 and powerful WEB GUI frameworks Django or Flask IO be run at present on ESP32 boards without ggc memory problems?

PS. Happy if Python3 already runs in some current Linux ESP32 bin images.

Kabron287

Postby Kabron287 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:34 pm

Hello,
here are some collection of prebuilded binaries:
https://github.com/ESP32DE/Boot-Linux-E ... in/bins/S3.

Strangely, they all require passwords, but no one has mentioned that anywhere.
Actually, what are the passwords?