[Announcement] Protocol to Set/Get values from esp32 device (PoMA)

reugalab

[Announcement] Protocol to Set/Get values from esp32 device (PoMA)

Postby reugalab » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:06 am

I have developed a simple protocol (PoMA) to communicate with an esp32 device using TCP sockets.

PoMA is a simple API that makes it possible to set and get variables from a running system.

It is motivated by the need to manage the configuration of dedicated devices (such as IoT devices) without using a local web server, i.e. a web servers running on the device. PoMA is based on the idea of Topics. For every Topic the system can handle two different kind of operations: get and set. There is also another operation to list available Topics.

Visit https://github.com/reugalabf/PoMA if you want to give it a try

Federico

ESP_Sprite

Re: [Announcement] Protocol to Set/Get values from esp32 device (PoMA)

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:35 pm

First of all, thanks for sharing this! As a hint: if you want others to pick up this protocol as well, you probably want to define it a lot better. For instance, what characters are allowable in a set/get command? (For instance, can I set a variable to a string that has a newline in it?) How is the protocol supposed to react to non-ascii characters like backspace? How is your 'list' function wildcarding defined: is it an existing thing like some glob implementation? What is the behaviour when I set a non-existing or readonly topic? How long can a get/set operation take? Suggest adding a protocol documentation document that tries to specify this: look at for instance the Internet RFCs for a good way to approach this.

reugalab

Postby reugalab » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Thanks for your comments!

PeterR

Postby PeterR » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:16 am

Is this a kind off MQTT (without Websocket/Webserver) I guess a sort of MQTT over TCP? If no websocket how does my browser application interact?
& I also believe that IDF CAN should be fixed.